Monday, October 28, 2013

Throwback Thursday

Salvaging the Draft

Thanks to the recent reorganization by Blogger, I've discovered a few posts still in the "draft" stage that apparently never got published.  So here's a moldie-oldie  from October 2013.

I'm new at this blogging thing.  Today I will attempt two new things:  inserting photos and linking to another blog.  So here goes .....  Wow, the photo part was easy!

This is what was on my design wall this morning.  I call it Sand and Surf because it reminds me of the beach colors DH and I saw on our Caribbean Cruise last February.  The pattern is "Bob and Weave" by Colleen Wise.  I started this in a class with her at Tennessee QuiltFest this past July.  The hardest part was selecting my fabrics.  (Isn't that often the way?)  I had planned to use a true black as the "background," but it was too dominant.  I found the perfect brown/black at Somewhere Sewing in Millersburg, OH (formerly of Johnson City, TN) in August and finished the top soon after that.




This is the fabric I want to use on the back, but it's not long enough.  I want to try John Flynn's diagonal technique, but I'm not quite sure how to make it work.  Anybody out there tried it?  You can find it on his website http://flynnquilt.danemcoweb.com/ under free lessons.  Overall the diagonal seam makes a lot of sense because it reduces bulk when rolled onto a longarm frame. 

One thing John says is to simply cut the fabric on the diagonal and insert a strip.  I guess that will be my fallback if I can't figure out the formula. 

Now I will try linking to Patchwork Times for Design Wall Monday.  Fingers crossed.



Libby in TN

9 comments:

  1. Love your sand and surf. Are the colors on the side of the bands different than the background squares?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! There are six fabrics in each band ranging from almost white to almost black. That was tough to accomplish when I wasn't dealing with either black or white. I'm proud to say most of the fabric came from my stash except a couple of sandy FQs.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful quilt. Love the colors and the way it weaves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciate your checking it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice! I love the optical illusion and the colors. I think this one belongs on my "make it" list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's in Colleen Wise's book, "Casting Shadows." Very easy, but the effect is impressive.

      Delete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.