Friday, November 15, 2013

Jo's BHUFO Challenge

I have accepted Jo's (Country Junction) challenge to finish a Bonnie Hunter UFO before the first clue of the new mystery later this month.  I started Cathedral Stars in a class with Bonnie in March 2011.  I finished all 25 of the HST blocks (actually 30) right away but hit a snag with the Tri-Recs star points and only finished a handful of blocks before setting it aside.


Last week when I inventoried what I had already accomplished I found I was only 2 blocks short of a quilt!  All I need to do is assemble the remaining 25 star blocks.  This is what I was facing at the beginning of this week.  The lower right pile is the two sets of star points and 4-patches.


Before I left home on Friday morning, this is what I had accomplished -- 15 blocks, 10 to go!!:

 



If I can find a large enough design wall I might be able to get the center portion finished.  I haven't really put any thought into borders; maybe I'll use a combination of the gold and purple in my HST blocks.  Most likely I will have to be satisfied with getting the blocks finished and take it to retreat in December to get it all together.

12 comments:

  1. Very pretty blocks! Those star points really pop. Good luck on the finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was in my "orange phase" when I started this. I've progressed to Japanese taupes. Go figure!

      Delete
  2. I love those long star points on these blocks. Isn't it amazing what we can do when we set our minds to it? Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is! The interesting thing about those long star points is they take on a completely different dimension when set on point.

      Delete
  3. Your colors are so bright and cheery. I love the orange. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think the very light backgrounds (something I'm not know for) really contribute to the cheeriness.

      Delete
  4. Getting the Blocks all done could be your GOAL. I like the different colorways, I have seen on this pattern. Did you have fun cutting with the Templates?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Mary, that a short-term (and do-able) goal is more realistic. The Tri-Recs rulers really make the placement so easy but the secret is having an accurate 1/4 inch seam allowance. If you haven't used them, try it!

      Delete
  5. Fabulous stars! Good luck finishing the blocks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. Finishing the stars should be easy. Putting them into the quilt is another story. But IT WILL be a flimsy before the end of the year.

      Delete
  6. Keep up the great work...you can do it!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.