Monday, December 16, 2013

Celtic Monday 3





Twenty-five pinwheels:  Done! 
One hundred HSTs:  Done!
Clue 3:  Done! 

Wish I could say the same for Clue 2, but more on that later. 



 
This is what happens when trying to use up scraps.
 
 
First I had some 2-1/2" strips.  I started using the Easy Angle  (upper left) but was getting way too much waste when it occurred to me that I could just cut the strips into 2-1/2" squares and again on the diagonal (bottom two).  I also had some 2" strips which required using Easy Angle (upper right).  Never fear, it works out in the end.
 
 
Back to Clue 2.  I took my cut pieces with me to retreat last week, but my travel machine (Janome 760) doesn't seem to like sewing on the bias and I was getting really wonky units.  So I decided to put those aside to sew at home on my Pfaff with dual feed.
 
 


One trick I have learned on any machine is to stitch sew-n-flip units from the side rather than starting at the point to avoid having the machine "eat" the points.

 
The second thing I tried today was to press the newly added pieces up (or down)
before I trimmed the excess.  The result was a much straighter unit. 
 
Hoping to get the remainder of these done before Clue 4 is revealed on Friday.  Then I'll be caught up.
 
Linking up with Bonnie at Quiltville.

1 comment:

  1. You're using so many fun fabrics in your CS mystery quilt, and I think it'll be gorgeous when complete. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.