Sunday, December 22, 2013

Christmas Eve Eve Eve

Clue 4 - 4-Patch blocks
I don't know where last week went.  I managed to spend some time every day in the sewing room, trying to stay up with Bonnie Hunter's mystery, Celtic Solstice.  Clues 1 and 3 are done, except for trimming.  I'm pleased that very little trimming has been needed, thanks to Bonnie's great tips and I may just use the 3-1/2" blocks "as is" unless there is an obvious mis-shape on any of them.  The Clue 4 four-patch blocks are relatively easy.  I finally get to use my Christmas bulb inspiration fabric!  35  finished; 85 to go. 


On The Dot Markers
Clue 2 -- the chevrons -- well, that's another story.  However,  I think I have mastered them.  I stopped drawing the line on the little squares and just use a line on my machine bed to keep me aligned.  I press the square up/down before trimming the excess.  When I trim the finished chevrons I use these handy static-cling dots to mark my ruler.  The orange one is the center point, points aligned along the center seam.  The purple one points to the 3-1/2" corner, points aligned along the diagonal. 
72 chevrons are finished and sorted into groups of 10; 38 still to go.  The unfinished chevrons and 4-patches will go with me to Arkansas next week. 

After mailing Christmas cards and wrapping all the gifts I had on hand, I realized I still needed something for the two older grandsons.  So I ventured out very early yesterday (getting ahead of the predicted rough weather) to pick up a few last-minute things, which involved a stop at a LQS to pick up an order.  Of course, I couldn't pass up a sale and came home with this versatile green.  I've had the same fabric in a goldy-tan and found so many uses for it.


I had two finishes this week -- "aprons" for MIL (we don't use the word "bib" around her).  I try to have seasonal aprons for her to help mark the year's progress.  These will be for spring and patriotic occasions.  Each takes a yard.


Previous balance:  8.5
Fabric in this week:  2.75
Fabric out this week:  2.00
Added since 10/1:  9.25


Linking up to Judy at Patchwork Times.

7 comments:

  1. Love the "aprons". I had to giggle at that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At 93 we have to maintain a little "dignity." LOL

      Delete
  2. Your 4 patches look great and so do your aprons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the aprons - wonder if I could get Bill to use one when he eats?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been times when I wished I had one! At 33" long, hers go well into her lap and she has become quite adept at retrieving things that miss her mouth. She's definitely a member of the "clean plate club."

      Delete
  4. What a good idea for the "apron". Maybe I should look for a pattern and make a few for my DH. Have a wonderful Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.