Friday, January 31, 2014

Friday Finish

Had hoped to have Rock Island Campfires finished -- at least the block portion -- but life got in the way.

Specifically, life in the jury box.  I've known since December that I would be on call for jury duty this week and next; however, one always hopes to either get released altogether or get assigned to a quickie case.  Well, mine was the 9th name called!  It took half a day to seat the jury and the judge had high hopes we'd be finished by the end of the second day.

Nope!  Even though we stayed till 6 last night, we still have to go back today for summation, charge, and deliberation.  It's a really interesting case and I must admit I have whiplash from going back and forth between guilty and not guilty!  It's one of those cases where we are going to have to put sentiment aside and decide specifically on The Law as it is written.

So my Friday finish has nothing to do with quilting, but should be very satisfying, nonetheless.

As to RIC, I'll show my progress to date.
Rock Island Campfires - bottom half
The top two rows are together and off my small design wall.  Still have to remove the papers from row 6 and sash them together.  Then I can complete assembly.  You can see that I settled on hot pink for my cornerstones.  Red was too dull, lime was too close to the small yellow cornerstones, and scrappy looked messy to me.  Besides, I had a stack of 2.5" hot pink strips that "needed" to be used.  (It's kinda my signature color, too.)

I have eliminated two or three colorful borders and have narrowed it down to a selection of black and white options.  One has the hot pink in it and I'm hoping that will be the best choice.  I don't know about you, but my quilt centers have to "tell" me what they need.  I rarely have a border choice in the beginning, and if I do, I don't cut it because nine times out of ten I end up with something else!


And, finally, I have a Whoopy!  Happy to report I'm down 5 pounds from my highest weight around the holidays.  I'm making changes slowly, but it is significant (at least for me) that I am making conscious decisions about what I eat -- or, rather, what I DON'T eat.

I'm linking up with Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.  Go see what she and others are whooping about today.

Keep warm and quilt on.


6 comments:

  1. Your quilt is so eye catching! I am like you with scrappy projects... I wait until the blocks are done and then think about borders. It's fun to often be surprised by what works best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. And thanks for stopping by. Released from jury duty tonight so hoping to get RIC finished before next Friday.

      Delete
  2. This is great! The center color strip surrounded by B&W in that X setting is so appealing. If you don't mind, I'm going to add this to my "Silly for String Quilts" board on Pinterest. Can't wait to see the final quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun, colorful quilt. I love your sashing and cornerstones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasmine. Check back next Friday for a finish.

      Delete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.