Friday, May 2, 2014

May 2

My mother was born on this day 106 years ago. It's hard to believe she has been gone almost 35 years.  She died too young of ovarian cancer.

Mother was everyone's best friend -- a truth I learned from her friends in the hours following her funeral.  She could stretch a dollar farther than anyone I've ever known. She loved giving large dinner parties.  In her desk following the funeral I found a notebook in which she had recorded every party, who attended, and what she served.  Big shoes to fill, I tell you!

Mother taught me how to sew at the age of 5 as a hurricane was whipping across Richmond, VA.  Jim and I had walked home from music lessons in the rain, but Dave was still out delivering newspapers on his bicycle.  She didn't drive at that time; regardless, Daddy Bill had the one car at work.  I reckon it was all she could think of to do to keep her mind off the potential danger David was facing.  So we sewed doll clothes that afternoon in an upstairs bedroom -- probably not the best place to be in a storm, but it made a memory for me.  I still have the Featherweight machine (1939 model); I need to get it out and give it a workout.

The Mama at Age 44 - RIP



2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you don't have your momma here to hug today, but it sounds like you were blessed with a wonderful one! My mother's birthday was yesterday :) She is 76 and still going strong, thank the Lord!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Teresa. I don't know why it's hit me so hard this year. She was my rock and I've not been the same since she passed. Hug your mom for me, too.

      Delete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.