Thursday, July 3, 2014

A Room With a View

I have to say, West Virginia is my favorite state -- well, in terms of scenic beauty, anyway.  Here's the view from our hotel room in North Beckley, WV.

View with a room

We are here for the week to enjoy The Greenbrier Classic golf tournament.  If you know anything about WV, you know that The Greenbrier is more than 50 miles from Beckley.  Hard to believe, but this was as close as I could get.  So each morning we drive 45 miles to the state fairgrounds in Lewisburg where we park and board an air-conditioned bus to The Greenbrier where we disembark and walk, walk, walk to the entrance gate which is still a distance away from the first hole.

I so wish I had purchased a FitBit or something similar to measure all my steps this week!  And with temps in the 80s and humidity near 100% I have to be losing weight just by sweat alone!

Monday morning we went to the course for a dry run on timing, etc. and to scope out the prime viewing spots on the course.

Old White TPC in tournament dress

I purchased "Benefactor" tickets almost a year ago which give us access to an air-conditioned tent for food and beverage, as well as "country club" porta-johns.  Smart move!



On Tuesday we took a break from golf and ventured north to Pennsylvania to visit two Frank Lloyd Wright-designed homes -- Kentuck Knob (a Usonian design) ...

Kentuck Knob

 ... and Fallingwater (probably his most famous home). 

Fallingwater

My Main Main is an architect who has admired Wright all his life, but Wright has been a favorite of mine, as well. We got lucky and got bumped to earlier tours at both locations.  Nevertheless, it was a very long day.  One I will remember for a long time.

Wednesday we slept in and made our way leisurely back to the course for the Pro-Am.  Again, we weren't as interested in the golf as looking for good viewing spots for the tournament which begins today.

I'll leave you with a shot of our typical sunrise here (Alex was driving ...).

WV Sunrise




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.