Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Serendipity

You never know in Nashville ...


... who'll you run into. 

My Main Man and I were doing weekly senior shopping at Kroger this morning -- along with everyone else grabbing last-minute things for their holiday meals.  After picking up some organic carrots I turned and almost tripped over a lady in an electric cart.  She was quite attractive for her age (I'm entitled to say that!), wearing a hot pink swing coat.

From the other side of the produce department I looked back to see how the lady was progressing.  With  sounds of "Rocking Around the Christmas Tree" coming from the PA system (or maybe it was "Jingle Bell Rock"), I realized I was looking at Brenda Lee!

OK, any youngsters reading this have no idea who I'm talking about.  It was her recording on the PA.



Brenda Lee and I are about the same age, give or take a year or two; we grew up in two small suburbs of Nashville in the 60s.  It was not unusual to see Brenda at basketball games with her circle of friends -- just an ordinary teen .... well except that she was a singing star, doing concerts in Europe, making records.

That's Nashville for you -- stars live in our midst and we give them their space.  I worry that with all the recent focus on the attraction of Nashville that the paparazzi will make it harder to see our beloved stars in public.

I hope it doesn't change.



1 comment:

  1. I was first introduced to Brenda Lee (via recordings) with "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree." But my most favorite of her recordings was when she did a duet with Alvin from The Chipmunks on their smash album in the early '80s!" "Made for Each Other"

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.