Monday, September 21, 2015

Pardon me, Girls ....

... Is this the Chattanooga ChooChoo?

Tennessee Aquarium - Ocean Experience
No, not really, but I was in Chattanooga for the AQS Show on Friday and I did pass through the Tennessee Aquarium Plaza on my way to a delightful dinner with friends at Puckett's Restaurant Thursday night.

Some S'mores and one Grandson at Puckett's
Puckett's got it's start as a trendy grocery and deli in Franklin, TN, then branched out to the Leiper's Fork art and antique colony before adding a downtown Nashville and now Chattanooga location.

The show was very nice -- on the small side and in a single location, which made it very maneuverable compared to the Paducah show.

This was the first time I recall seeing a contest category for "Modern" quilts (though there may have been one in Paducah, I couldn't work my way through the crowds) and it was fun seeing them all together.

Traditional block with a modern spin
Some I still don't "get."  The ones that impressed me the most were basically traditional with "modern" quilting.

Fantastic quilting on a traditional 9-patch
My shopping list was modest -- a couple of books (only found one) ...

Cut and Suffle Quilts by blogger Jan Ochterbeck
... and neutral Aurofil threads.  At the urging of my companion, I did fall for three charm packs of modern backgrounds. 2 yds in

A brief stop at The Quilting Squares on Saturday added another 1.25 yds.

A destashing bundle to the Music City Modern Quilt Guild (6.75 yds) and a couple of gifts (1.5 yds) counterbalanced my purchases.

Weekly Stash Report -September 20, 2015
     In last week:                 3.25 yards
     Out last week:              8.25 yards
     In year to Date:        179.50 yards
     Out Year-to-Date:    157.75 yards
     Net Used                     21.75 yards

My design wall this morning is bare ... I can't even get to it for all the mess that has accumulated with my in-and-out lifestyle the last two weeks.  But soon I will be able to show you a new French Braid sample for my upcoming class at Fall Quilt Camp.

To see what others are working on in the quilting world, hop over to Patchwork Times.

1 comment:

  1. I love the two quilts you posted. I don't mind modern, but I really love traditional with a twist. Hopefully you'll get some stitching done soon.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.