Sunday, July 24, 2016

Scrappy Sunday

Pretty in Pink

When Angela announced the color for July -- watermelon pink -- I couldn't find many scraps.  Which seemed odd because that has been a favorite color of mine to work with in the past.

I had too many things on my agenda early in the month, including 9 days on the road, to dig too deep. But once I returned home I looked in my scrap organization system (I use that term loosely) and found a pile of 1-1/2" strips and a few 2-1/2" strips.

With just a week left in the month, I thought I should move some of those scraps out. My first thought was to make some string blocks. But since the scraps were cut to a uniform size, it seemed foolish to use them as strings. So I set about stitching two strips together, then foursies. Subcut those stripsets into 1-1/2" chunks and before I knew it I had about 20 of these cute 16-patches made.

Watermelon Pink 16-Patches
As an added bonus, several of the prints include bits of the accent color, lime green. I also included some blacks and whites with hot pink. My plan is to use these as centers for Ohio stars in a 12" block. A 4 x 5 setting will give me a 48 x 60 center. With borders it will make a nice lap size quilt.

Linking up with Cynthia at Quilting is more fun than housework.

7 comments:

  1. Those are so scrappy and fun! They sound perfect for some star centers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice use of those pink scraps. I love pink too...Probably why I don't have too many scraps. They are the ones I grab first.

    Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! You made quick work of those HOT PINK 16-Patch Blocks!! Setting them into larger star blocks sounds like a great plan. Looking forward to seeing the next step!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! That's a lot of very tiny piecing and a lot of seams to match. I like your idea to use them as the centers of star blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful hot pink blocks! (Take a look at what Wanda at Exuberant Color is doing with pink 16-patches this week.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was some speedy stitching! I'm going to watch your stars with great interest - I like the idea of using 16-patches for star centers, and am thinking of playing with that idea, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those will make great star centers! That center is such a big piece that I usually piece it somehow unless I have a great print to show off.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.