Thursday, November 16, 2017

Tips for Thursday ... and a question

Working with shirts

You may remember that I came home from the "Great Yard Sale" (tongue firmly implanted in cheek) with a pile of my grandsons' shirts.


They were name brand, 100% cotton, very clean and in great shape.  But many of the fabrics feel like a well-laundered sheet, which probably felt great on the wearer, but not anywhere close to "quilt shop quality."  I really wish I had starched the large chunks I salvaged in the deconstruction process before cutting strips and squares.

To further complicate the construction of the picnic quilts I am making for the boys, I am pairing the shirt fabric with a dress-weight chambray that is loosely woven.  I'm having a terrible time keeping seams anywhere close to straight.


Sew, my tip(s) for you:

1.  If you want to work with old shirts, use starch or Best Press to stabilize the fabric before cutting.

2.  If crooked plaids and stripes bother you, think of another project.

This is my progress so far:

Picnic quilt #1
I had originally planned to do another 2" round on the blocks which would make them 14" finished.  However, it occurred to me that 70" x 70" would not fit on my 5' quilting frame!  As is, it will finish at 50" x 50".  Do you think that is big enough to sit on for a picnic or outdoor concert?  I don't really want to pay someone to quilt these, plus I want them done by Christmas.


12 comments:

  1. Could you quilt the 50x50 part on your frame and then add borders with the quilt as you go method? I have a friend who does that. I am loving this quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally loving this quilt!! The "off-grain" look doesn't bother me. The softness of the quilt will more than make up for the "wonkiness"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Joy - I like the look of the striped fabrics the way they are! It's a great layout, Libby. I would think 50 x 50 would work for a picnic quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bobcats were around occasionally back at our old property but stayed away from people.They are a worry esp. if they feel cornered so be careful.
    Meanwhile I use some of Hubby's old shirts and it really depends on the material but you are so right that some of them are almost useless for quilting.
    I do like how you are overcoming the issue and this is looking wonderful to me. Very creative, Libby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your 50 inch square is fine for a picnic quilt! I love this quilt top!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love what you are making - and 50 x 50 is fine! They can sit on it, use it as a footer on the bed ( which of course I always end up under) and what a treasure - a gift from yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about 50 x 70? The design is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great design...yes shirts are pretty interesting these days. Some are stiff because of the "stuff" put on them to keep them no-iron shirts. I like the casual, fun look of the plaids/stripes. Very nice. I'd think 50 x 50 would be fine although Nann's suggestion would give a bit more space. Good luck with these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect size in my humble opinion! Also perfect is the sentiment and softness and uh I don’t see wonkiness at all; if you do your nose is too close right? Personally I think a picnic or outdoor concert quilt should be square so 50x50” is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The size should be fine, but adding the quilt-as-you-go border is a great suggestion.
    (Is it bad of me that I'll frequently cut stripes and plaids off-kilter purposely, just to get a little more movement?)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What you have so far looks great. I've never sewn with recovered garment fabric, sounds like it can be really challenging.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.