Friday, January 19, 2018

Empty Box ...

... Finished Flimsy!

At the rate I'm going, my 2018 project list that I posted earlier this week could be finished in the first quarter!

That list included four unfinished Bonnie Hunter mysteries.  Since the machine I've been using for "On Ringo Lake" is still in the back of my van, I decided to break out the ole Pfaff and work on Grand Illusion.  I had already upcycled the pieced sashing from that one into another quilt so the first order of business was to find a sashing fabric.


I settled on this rusty rose; probably not the perfect choice but it was one of the colors I used in the piecing, I had it on hand, and I had plenty of it.  I bordered the center blocks with the constant polka-dot I had used in the blocks.


Voila! Now it is a flimsy!  Check one off my list.

Grand Mess (a/k/a Grand Illusion)
I also knocked out 8 more blue geese for Loosey Goosey, one of my new Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects for 2018 ...


... and I now have my first completed strip!


It doesn't show up very well in the closeup photo, but I'm using a light blue print as the background for the blue geese.  My plan is to use a similar light print for each of the other colors this year.  Since light color is something I don't seem to have a lot of, I thought I could make a list for some "purposeful" shopping throughout the year.  Well, guess what!

Loosey Goosey background squares
I was able to find something in my stash for EVERY color on this year's list!!  Background cut and ready for the rest of the year.

Hop over to Confessions of a Fabric Addict to see what other quilters are whooping about today.

Joining the link for Scrap Happy Saturday.

15 comments:

  1. Congrats! on your flimsy finish! I love the name you have given to it. Loosey Goosey is looking great, too. It's amazing what we can find in our stash, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goose on the Loose is so interesting and your Grand Illusion is so pretty. You are really the queen of perfect points...if I haven't already said that. And I see you have lots to keep you inspired and especially busy, Libby. Enjoy it all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your flimsy finish. I just love your color palette. And way to go with the geese - you're way ahead for the year already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah you inspire me to sort my scraps by color and get to the Rainbow Scrap challenge. I like your geese. And the finished top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grand Illusion looks great! I like the sashing fabric you ended up with. I like the look of those geese, too - which could be a problem for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo!! Look at you got! I like your Grand Whatever blocks - Grand Illusion wasn't my favorite Bonnie mystery, mainly because of those busy busy sashes. You've calmed it nicely!
    And love love love those Loosey Goosies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WaHoo! Another finish, AND you found the background in your stash! Congratulations! It is all looking good! Sharon B in Franklin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Grand Mess, LOL!! I definitely think that was the PERFECT sashing fabric. Name, too! Way to go on the fabric search for geese backgrounds. Off to find this RSC color list that you keep referencing!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way to go on another finish. Aren't you the ONE to get so much done on your 1st qtr list. I'm impressed - 4 Bonnie Hunter UFOs. WOW! I can't wait to see the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stash to the rescue. So fun to see the finished strip. First of many great colors to come.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go on the goals! And when you finish that list I'm sure you will be able to come up with another list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like Grand Mess better than the original Grand Illusion design. Glad you have it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on getting Grand Illusion to a finished flimsy. I like your version with the solid sashing, it's not so busy as the original pattern. Way to go on moving along those UFOs!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.