Saturday, February 21, 2015

Why's In Leitchfield ...

... Kentucky, that is

Loyal Readers, all three of you, have probably wondered about my absence.  I was snowbound at a quilt retreat.  Oh, darn ...

Turner Lodge at Camp Loucon

My plan was to post periodically throughout the week, but I was not able to connect to the internet through their WiFi.  What was worse is that cell service is sketchy and I was depending on email to communicate with family at home.  Thank goodness SIL texts!

We knew that the storm was coming and asked if we could arrive Sunday afternoon ahead of it.  We would never have made it, otherwise.  The snow began overnight and we woke Monday morning to this:

Monday Snowfall
It was so pretty and quiet -- and COLD!  It continued to snow all day till we had about a good 8 inches accumulation.


Thankfully the staff picked us up in a van and took us to meals in the dining hall.  By Tuesday the sun was out and the staff had begun to dig us out.

Tuesday Sunshine
Can you see the frozen frost on the tree sparkling against the beautiful blue sky?  Some of the hardier ones enjoyed walking in the snow to the dining hall.  I had not taken any boots (though I did have the presence of mind to take a spare pair of shoes!) so I opted for the van.  Every day the staff did a little more to clear a path out of camp.

We all had packed in such a hurry that some critical things were forgotten -- like one suitcase, project instructions, thread, scissors -- what one person forgot another would share.  And the week passed a lot faster than we imagined.

Turns out we may have been better off where we were because Middle Tennessee had more ice than snow!  Power was off in some areas and cable was out at our house.  By the time we headed home on Friday the major highways were clear.  I didn't hit any obstacles till I got to our subdivision.  The road in was a little touchy; our street, on the other hand -- oh, my!  At least 2 inches of ice with a light coating of snow greeted me.  I knew I was going to have to park on the street, but getting down and up the little dip to our end of the street was challenging.  Thankfully a pair of Stable-Icers awaited me in the mailbox and I was able to make it up the hill -- though my dirty laundry and all my projects are still in the van.  My dear husband made two trips down to retrieve my two sewing machines.  We do have our priorities!

More on our projects and accomplishments in the next post.








4 comments:

  1. :) I totally feel you! Fortunately, I haven't left my house in a week. The snow and ice are melting slowly, but the area in front of my house is still ice packed. The good news...no work...no school...just sewing. And I just found out school will be closed again tomorrow, so I should have another day to play in my sewing room. I wonder if I can get another UFO finished? Stay warm from South Nashville!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted to get snowed in at a retreat. Glad you had a safe trip home. Was Teresa R at your retreat? Great pictures of the snowfall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always wanted to get snowed in at a retreat. Glad you had a safe trip home. Was Teresa R at your retreat? Great pictures of the snowfall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always wanted to get snowed in at a retreat. Glad you had a safe trip home. Was Teresa R at your retreat? Great pictures of the snowfall.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.