At least that's what my calendar says. And the leaves around us attest to that, as well.
Thursday, October 26, 2023
Wednesday, October 25, 2023
What is Thymely Chicken?
I am happy to provide the answer:
4 Slices bacon
1/4 cup Finely chopped onion
1/4-1/2 tsp Thyme
1 Cup (at least) shredded par-boiled or stewed chicken
1 Chicken-flavored bouillon cube
1 packet cream-style chicken Cup-o-Soup
Salt & pepper
In skillet cook bacon; remove and crumble (save drippings) into rice. Saute onions in drippings. Add to rice/bacon + stir. Add to chicken.. Salt/pepper to taste. Dissolve bullion and soup in ¾ cup boiling water. Pour over mixture and stir. Bake covered at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
Tuesday, October 24, 2023
In a previous life as a family we were struggling to make ends meet. Without excess funds for recreation, I tried to make "events" at home (not to mention getting help with the workload). Cooking with the boys was one of those activities. We found a recipe on Jimmy Dean's Sausage for stuffed zucchini boats.
First of all, zucchini was totally foreign to us, but I bought some and we tried (and liked!) the recipe. Secondly, we had never used thyme. We were so intrigued by the flavor that we came up with a totally new recipe, Thyme-ly Chicken. I still have that recipe card in my older boy's hand writing!
Well, I made zucchini boats for supper last night and texted a picture to both boys recalling how it made me think of those early days.
The response from them both was enough to keep this old heart a-ticking for a long thyme!
Thursday, October 19, 2023
You know what they say about assumptions ... well I proved it true this week.
I had seen a free pattern in American Patchwork and Quilting that I thought would be easy for comfort or encouragement quilts. Since Devo was cancelled on Tuesday, I decided to devote my day to sewing anyway so I headed down to the studio to give the pattern a try.
The pattern calls for 3-1/2" strips and squares, but since I have so many 2-1/2" inch strips and squares I decided to convert the pattern. I picked a background fabric and some coordinating charm squares that could easily be cut into four 2-1/2" squares. I made a couple of sample blocks and they were just awful! Certainly not picture-worthy; you'll just have to take my word for it.
Then, as I glanced over my shoulder, I saw a stack of bright squares that would work in this pattern so I set about cutting 2-1/2" strips of a an older background with lots of bright colors. I stitched enough squares into a strip of threes to make 13 blocks and cut the appropriate number of background pieces.
Once I started combining squares with strips I saw a slight discrepancy in the size between the bright squares and the newly-cut background which I figured I could accommodate in the seams. Then I realized the error of my assumptions: The bright squares are 2-5/8" !!!
No way can I accommodate that in the seam when every block has three of those squares right through the center of the block.
I threw in the towel and poured a glass of wine! The seam ripper will be busy today.
I know it's been a while since I posted. I am well and I've done quite a bit of sewing; it's just a matter of getting the photos into the blog. I have found a work-around until I have the chance to clean out the cloud. It will be high priority come November!