Mother started this about the time she was first diagnosed with ovarian cancer. That could explain why she never finished it, although she made at least one other quilt before she passed away in 1979. It could also explain the quality of workmanship which was not up to her standards (or, I should say, my expectations of her standards). I was determined to get into quilting for the sole purpose of finishing that quilt, but it is still in the box. I can give a litany of reasons: It's 60% polyester, couldn't find the pattern, couldn't figure out what she was intending -- now I've run out of excuses. 38 years is long enough!! Even if I don't do anything more than assemble what she had finished.
|from Quilter's Newsletter, Nov 1975, Issue 73|
I discovered that I do have the pattern! It was in the box -- duh!
It looks like she may have settled on just four blocks (see her numbers on the page). Or, knowing my mother, and judging from the amount of unused fabric, she may have been planning to make one for each or her three children. I'll never know, but it brings me closer to her just imagining what was going on in her head.
2. Brian's Jeans (1979)
Crazy patchwork on a muslin foundation was the only type of quilting I had done until 2000. Apparently I started this in the period between marriages. I embroidered the date on one of the blocks, as well as a B for Brian. I'm sure some of Noel's jeans made it into this, as well. I either gave away the rest of the jeans or ran out of what I had because I have 7 partially-done blocks. I think I'll make a trip to a thrift store to get enough for 12 blocks.
The next three were on my previous list.
3. Irish Chain (2001)
4. Nosegay (2001)
5. Strips 'n' Curves (2003)
I started SnC in a guild class with a teacher from Alabama (her name escapes me at the moment). I made the strata and cut a few of the blocks, but never got far into the overall design. So I took a class with Louisa Smith, creator of the SnC concept, in 2007. This is as far as I got. It's still rolled up on the noodle.
6. Weaver Fever (ca 2006)
A Jackie Robinson pattern that ends up in a woven ribbon effect. Apparently I never took a picture. I do recall that one of my fabrics was a poor choice, but I have since replaced it and even have several blocks together. It's one of those patterns that really demands an accurate 1/4" seam and I know I wasn't doing so well in that department when I started this, so it may be a struggle to finish.
That's my design wall for today. Stay tuned throughout the year to see how I'm doing. I plan to make a page tab to track my progress. In the meantime
Linking up with Judy L at Patchwork Times for design wall Monday.