Another Gray Day
But brightened by the arrival of Son-1 and DIL last night! I came home from my retreat a half-day early as the kids (ha! they are over 50) were going to be stopping through on their way to a weekend couples retreat. Always fun to see them and we got an update on GS-1's fall wedding plans.
Now it's time for an update on my Rock Island, Rock On!
retreat. It got off to a rough start on Sunday when I forgot to pack my fridge food! (Thank goodness I made a stop at a local
grocery to pick up a few last-minute things, as I had considered waiting the 1-1/2 hours till the last Dollar General 3 miles from Rock Island State Park.) I realized I was missing the cooler when I went to put my purchases away. A quick 7-mile drive back home and DH was waiting in the driveway with a fully packed cooler. What a guy!
Once the furniture was rearranged, food put away, and sewing stations set up, I decided to tackle the first and second borders for 9-Patch Bonanza.
The 9-patches were leftovers from another quilt -- well, the fabric was leftover and already cut into 2.5" strips and 9Ps were an easy option to use them up. I had assembled the center quite a while ago and had planned out the borders so I straightened up the edges, measured (several times), but couldn't wrap my brain around the math required to make the 2" squares in the second border fit! I don't know if this had anything to to with it ...
Maybe a good night's sleep would help....
NOT! On Monday I was at the point of skipping the pieced border when I did a quick measurement and it was SO close that I decided to go forward with the plan. With a bit of stretching here and there I got it on, but now the edges are wavy so I put it away till I could give it a good press. I did cut the final borders, though, while I had the project box out.
On Tuesday I finished up blocks for Contrary Mary.
I had kitted up these blocks several years ago and once I refreshed my memory about what I was planning, they went together quickly. However, I again had to finagle all those HSTs to fit because this project was started on a different machine. I think I need to start making a note about which machine I have used before I put a project in time-out. I have no plan for what happens next; these blocks may go into the next Orphan Adoption.
By Wednesday I was ready to start something new! Jeanne at Spiral
turned me on to "Dawn to Dusk" in More Nickel Quilts.
And since I am convinced this is The Year of the Blue and White Quilt, I am working with those scraps in this quilt.
|Dawn to Dusk|
I love the secondary pattern that makes it look far more complex than it is. (I hope next month's RSC color is blue so I can keep going!)
On Thursday I got out another old project (also blue), "English Tiles" designed by Kaye England. The pattern was published in an old issue of QUILT Magazine
but I don't remember what edition.
The centers are a variation of a stacked-repeat with quarter-square triangles. I had used this fabric to demonstrate the technique to a guild several years ago so I already had 24 of the "tiles" made. I got all 24 framed before I had to pack up to leave.
My project box did not include a fabric for the setting triangles which will make a column, nor do I have a sashing/border fabric picked out. This is one I hope to finish up at the next retreat in a couple of weeks where I will have space to hang a design wall.
All-in-all the retreat was a success. Unlike some previous years, we did not have any snow. Just rain and dreary gray skies. And today isn't any better 😞 and tomorrow will be more of the same, only colder with icing overnight. I know other parts of the U.S. are facing far worse conditions this weekend; I just want to see the sun again!