Maybe ... Sorta ....
I decided a friend needed a hug on Monday so went out to lunch with her. Tuesday it was dinner out. Wednesday it was grocery day, out. Thursday, went out to pick up DH at car place and on to Sears to pick up a dishwasher part. Friday, back out to pick up car. Saturday, modern guild meeting. I always find it hard to get back in the sewing groove after going out; so much for an "open" week! But let's see how much progress I made.
I finished cutting the 320 geese -- actually, about twice that many since I altered my color plan. That is to say, I developed
a color plan -- black/hot pink/yellow/gray -- based on this inspiration fabric.
I mocked up a sample block and now I'm questioning the black in the big goose. Actually, I'm questioning the big goose ...
Oh, well, I'm happy with the little geese and they will make a great leader/ender project. Sew don't be looking for a finished quilt any time soon.
Next I corrected the wonky intersection in teal quilt 3 and stitched the long seam, only to discover that I need to construct a whole 'nother row of blocks to balance the bottom side of the quilt!!
|Teal Quilt 3 |
Not enough fabric to make it all the way around. And looking at this photo I think some blocks may be turned wrong!!! Sorry to say this one has gone back into the box until I feel up to dealing with the disappointment.
Having cleared off that spot on my sewing table, I came across another new modern quilt pattern and started thinking about what fabric I might have on hand that would work for it. You know what's coming next, don't you.
Yep, I started cutting another project-- Obligated.
I'm using a collection of wild and crazy prints designed by Sherrill Kahn for Robert Kaufman. The background in the pic is one that was used in the pattern example so that was my inspiration point. But I think it's a bit muddy with the feature prints I'm using so I may go for a solid background .... hmm, maybe a black. What do you think?
Beside the Obligated pattern on my sewing table was a stack of pieces I think I made for Bonnie Hunter's mystery, Grand Illusion, 2 years ago. These funky 2" checkerboards didn't seem to go with everything else in that quilt that was on a 2.5" grid -- at least in my mind, anyway -- but they were made and it was time to do something with them.
|Checkers, Anyone? - work in progress|
I combined the 8s into 16s and used the excess 4s as cornerstones in the sashing. (That one unit turned the wrong way has since been corrected and the entire center is together.)
|Border for Checkers|
Borders will probably have to wait till after Thanksgiving, but this is what I have selected. I purchased this fabric in Hawaii about 8-10 years ago and have been looking for the perfect project. There will be a small black inner border to set it off.
Underneath that pile of checkerboards was a stack of HSTs that were cut off heart blocks the modern guild made for Pulse survivors and families. They were all trimmed to an even 4.5" so it didn't take long to whip them into a top.
I passed this on to another guild member on Saturday to add borders from her stash. Then someone else will add the back and another will quilt it -- kinda round robin approach to a charity quilt.
Holiday Frost is still in three pieces, but it should be a quick Sunday sew in between loads of laundry. So I accomplished quite a bit, even though I didn't do what I had planned.
Eye Surgery Update
I'm happy to report that DH came through both cataract surgeries without incident, though he does have a condition in the retina of one eye that may require further surgery. The good news (for me, anyway) is that he has been released to drive and has mastered the art of administering his own eye drops that will have to continue for quite a while to help the retina situation.
I still do a double-take when I see him without glasses. And I'm afraid he'll poke an eye out trying to push the phantom glasses back up his nose!!