Friday, April 14, 2017

Taking a break ...

... from taking a break

It was refreshing to have my son and daughter-in-law bring a picnic lunch today to celebrate birthdays for both me and my sister-in-law.

Son-1, SIL, DH, and Me!
SIL and I enjoyed our repast on these plates.


The Queen Mother continues to hang on by a thread.  I have not been able to even sew an accurate quarter-inch seam in the last two weeks.  But today I was inspired by Jo Kramer at Jo's Country Junction to break out what I have finished on this year's Bonnie Hunter mystery, En Provence, and see if I can make something with the bits I have done.

My first attempt was to simply put the nine stars with the yellow corners together.  It wasn't big enough, even though my blocks are bigger than Bonnie's (because I didn't read the directions on the first clue), and it left all the other units I had made needing a home somewhere.

So I decided to use some of them in a sashing.  First in a straight set ...


... and in an on-point setting ...


I think I'm favoring the on-point.  What do you think?  I'll come up with some creative way to use all the neutral 4Ps and purple 4Ps in the corners.  But I won't sew a stitch until life returns to normal here on the hill.

Thanks to all who have expressed concern and offered prayers.




5 comments:

  1. SEW glad that you were able to steal some time away and play with your fabrics. Happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday, Libby -- and how nice to have a new post from you. I think your slimmed-down En Provence blocks look best on point. Right now I can imagine using the stars as a medallion-style center. Sew the purple four-patches to make four large corner triangles to frame the stars. Then all (all?) you'd need to do is figure out the border.

    I hope your MIL (Queen M) is as comfortable as she can be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday! (And I think you're special every day!)
    I like the stars on point, too. Hopefully, the block-arranging will be a soothing way to spend some quiet time.
    Hugs to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Libby! So nice that you could enjoy a peaceful moment outside with family. I like the blocks on-point, can't quite say why, but I just do. My continued thoughts are with you and your family and I hope that your MIL is being kept as comfortable as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday Libby!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.