Friday, March 6, 2015

Are we there yet?

... to Spring, I mean

Yesterday morning we woke to 3-4 inches of snow -- the highest measurable snow in 5 years.  At least it's not on an inch of ice like the last snowfall!  I can admire and appreciate it since we had no reason to be out and about.

Angel Garden
The overnight caregiver, on the other hand, is stuck here yet again as her replacement was unable to get here yesterday morning.  We are SO blessed to have help that are committed to the job and work as a team to make sure MIL has someone here to care for her.

We were forewarned and had time to get the weekly shopping done Wednesday.  And I was able to make it to handbell practice later that afternoon.  Even left my car on the street because I was scheduled to make dinner for Room in the Inn (Nashville's program for the homeless) Friday night at our church.

Telephoto from lower deck

Regrettably the church had to cancel for the second time this season (November through March) because we depend on volunteer drivers to go pick the men up at the Mission campus.  So I will make some BBQ with the pork I roasted Wednesday and freeze what we don't eat tonight.

There was a land office business at the bird feeder yesterday.  See the line of seeds stuck near the top?

Depleted Feeder


That was how high it was in the morning.  By mid-afternoon it was at the midpoint.  By sundown it was empty.

The usual suspects showed up -- Chickadees, Juncos, Titmice, Nuthatches, Finches, Sparrows, Downy Woodpeckers, and a lone Red-Bellied Woodpecker.  I love the way she uses her short tail to balance.

Red-bellied Woodpecker

The funniest was a lone Mourning Dove who shook the snow off its foot with each step in the snow.  The Gold Finches are already showing their bright yellow plumage.

Gold Finch

Feeding the birds is "cheep" entertainment!

Hope y'all stay warm today.  Take a moment to pop over to Addictions of a Fabric Addict.





3 comments:

  1. We started with sleet and freezing rain and then received 3-4" of snow yesterday. Third one of the year for us, which is very unusual. I am ready for some 90 degree weather! Gives us time to sew and create!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Libby, you have been hit hard down there. Spring must be around the corner. You are one busy lady....church, birds, quilting, etc. Thanks for sharing your views out the window. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had ice under the snow, on my car windows and on the sidewalks and step. I don't know what happened to our snow shovel, so I used a spare dustpan to get the snow off and then salted the steps and side walk. The sun did the rest of the work. Great bird pictures! Sharon B in Franklin

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.