Tuesday, October 24, 2023

The Importance of Thyme

In a previous life as a family we were struggling to make ends meet.  Without excess funds for recreation, I tried to make "events" at home (not to mention getting help with the workload).  Cooking with the boys was one of those activities.  We found a recipe on Jimmy Dean's Sausage for stuffed zucchini boats.  


First of all, zucchini was totally foreign to us, but I bought some and we tried (and liked!) the recipe.  Secondly, we had never used thyme.  We were so intrigued by the flavor that we came up with a totally new recipe, Thyme-ly Chicken.  I still have that recipe card in my older boy's hand writing!


Well, I made zucchini boats for supper last night and texted a picture to both boys recalling how it made me think of those early days.  


The response from them both was enough to keep this old heart a-ticking for a long thyme!

7 comments:

  1. What a fun memory. My mom wasn't into spices or veggies. On the other hand both My Guy and Grad Girl try out all kinds of fun stuff on both the veggie and spice fronts. Culinary arts have changed a lot I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks wonderful! It is so heartwarming for kids to remember dishes from their childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those are neat memories to have! I only like zucchini as barely cooked I don't like it soft

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so fun when you get responses like that from your grown up kids about special memories! Your zucchini boats look tasty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love zucchini boats! How wonderful to share these memories with your sons.

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww what a great memory and that your kids remember it is heartwarming!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The memories that a simple recipe card evokes -- wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.