Thursday, October 19, 2023

Never Assume

You know what they say about assumptions ... well I proved it true this week.  

I had seen a free pattern in American Patchwork and Quilting that I thought would be easy for comfort or encouragement quilts.  Since Devo was cancelled on Tuesday, I decided to devote my day to sewing anyway so I headed down to the studio to give the pattern a try.

The pattern calls for 3-1/2" strips and squares, but since I have so many 2-1/2" inch strips and squares I decided to convert the pattern.  I picked a background fabric and some coordinating charm squares that could easily be cut into four 2-1/2" squares.  I made a couple of sample blocks and they were just awful! Certainly not picture-worthy; you'll just have to take my word for it.

Then, as I glanced over my shoulder, I saw a stack of bright squares that would work in this pattern so I set about cutting 2-1/2" strips of a an older background with lots of bright colors.  I stitched enough squares into a strip of threes to make 13 blocks and cut the appropriate number of background pieces.


Once I started combining squares with strips I saw a slight discrepancy in the size between the bright squares and the newly-cut background which I figured I could accommodate in the seams.  Then I realized the error of my assumptions:  The bright squares are 2-5/8" !!!

No way can I accommodate that in the seam when every block has three of those squares right through the center of the block.  

I threw in the towel and poured a glass of wine!  The seam ripper will be busy today.

I know it's been a while since I posted.  I am well and  I've done quite a bit of sewing; it's just a matter of getting the photos into the blog.  I have found a work-around until I have the chance to clean out the cloud. It will be high priority come November!


6 comments:

  1. Been there! Lol on the glass of wine - it solves many quilting issues for me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is irritating when you can't get something to turn out and then realize it was the size to begin with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's definitely frustrating! Hope the unsewing doesn't take you too long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, great minds -- check my post for Monday -- I made that same pattern last week! (I cut the squares and strips 3.5".)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, cheers! 🍷 That sounds like a much better choice than the seam ripper, lol! I do hope you get everything figured out because that is a pretty quilt design. I'm going to keep that one in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry you'll be spending quality time with your seam ripper. Quilting keeps us humble!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.