Sunday, February 9, 2020

TOALT Phase 2

On to Sydney!

I had never been south of the equator, so I was anticipating what it would be like to have summer in January.  It felt weird to pack short-sleeve shirts and knee-knockers while wearing Cuddleduds and sweats!

We were also concerned about the effects the bushfires might have on our visit, but the only evidence in Sydney proper was occasional bad air quality from the smoke.  In the end we are glad we were able to support the local economy because, between the fires and Coronovirus, many people had cancelled their trips.

Within hours of our arrival we were surveying the area around our hotel in the old part of Sydney.

Sydney Opera House viewed across Circular Quay
And less than an hour later ...  On our way back to the hotel I tripped on a curb and face-planted on the cobblestone sidewalk. 

Libby in the ambulance
Miraculously the lense of my glasses did not break, but the temple piece got stuck in my head.  Five hours in the ER to determine if I had a concussion, then released with just a bandaid on my forehead. 

I have to commend the citizens of Sydney for taking such good care of me.  Passersby immediately came to my aid, told me not to move, directed SIL to put something under my head, ordered Alex to hold an umbrella to shade me, forebade anyone from giving me anything to drink, and called the ambulance.

Needless to say, I wasn't up for much activity the next two days.  SIL, on the other hand, had booked a Bridge Climb on the Harbour Bridge which proceded in spite of the rain.

Climb group at the apex

A jubilant SIL on completion of the Climb
The next day we boarded the Noordam and departed under the Harbour Bridge on our quilt cruise around New Zealand.

So long, Sydney

12 comments:

  1. OMG sorry to hear of your injury in Australia not the way you want to spend time on your vacation and find out how your health insurance works in another country!! It looks like you all are having fun though- four of you went?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not the kind of vacation souvenir to collect, Libby -- but glad you got good care. (We really enjoyed Sydney. We were at the Marriott a couple of blocks from the Quay.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad your fall didn't cause you more problems! Keep the photos coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, a 'trip' to remember!! Glad you're OK!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed your visit to our country even though you had a fall. Thanks that you recovered quickly. I could have "waved" to you from where I live, but as it is 12 hours from Sydney, you might not have seen me! Come back another time for longer and visit other states too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, so sorry about the fall! What a great group of good Samaritans you had taking care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, a face plant isn't how you want to spend your vacation, but I'm glad you got good care. You'll never forget your visit to Sydney! I hope you felt better and were able to enjoy the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Libby!! What a mess! Fortunately, your misadventure ended better than it might have.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, what's a vacation without a souvenir bandaid? (Oy, girl, you do go for the odd injuries, don't you?)
    I hope the rest of the trip went smoother!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, that sounds memorable! :) I'm glad there were helpful bystanders and no concussion. And what a great view you had of the harbor!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! I just got back from vacation and just read about your TRIP. Gives TOALT new meaning, doesn’t it? So glad you weren’t hurt. And how wonderful of you all to go support Australia 🇦🇺 after their horrendous fires. Hugs...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh definitely not the best start to your stay in Sydney! Glad it was minor and you are back to enjoying your trip.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.