Sunday, September 27, 2020

Sew, Baby, Sew!

 That's what I do when the cable server is down for over 8 hours.

Look at this beautiful collection of 5" strips (there's a name for them that I can't remember) that I won at the recent Life's a Bear Retreat with Cindy Williams.


(Ignore the green; I was auditioning leaf fabric and decided the stripes are too distracting.)  I thought the bright florals would work well in this pattern that I think I saw on someone's blog.


Because the block is similar to the Colorado block, I'm thinking it was one of my virtual Colorado friends who gave me the inspiration.


The Colorado block has flying geese in place of the solid rectangle.  


While I think Colorado is less "clunky" than this block, it didn't work as well with the "leaves" in the sashing when I worked it up in EQ.

So earlier in the week, when Comcast went down I decided to use my normal TV/Computer time to test my idea.  As of today, I have 17 of 30 blocks finished.


Some of the prints are a little large to be effective but I'm forging on and adding some fabrics from my stash to balance things out.  Right now I'm trying to eek out enough background fabric for the sashings.

On another front, I got Tiny Tuesdays assembled and I'm considering a small border of the sashing print to stabilize the edges.


The colors are much brighter in person.  This one is designated for the first great-grandchild.  I think it will be a great learning tool for colors, shapes, and matching.

8 comments:

  1. Nice job on getting your Tiny Tuesday top together, Libby! It looks like you are making quick work of that new quilt, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new blocks are beautiful! Love your fabrics. When is your great grandchild due? What a lovely quilt that will be for the little one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a really pretty pile of fabric! I think it is looking good in those blocks, too. Are you adding the green leaves in the sashing? I like that design? TT is turning out just great! I'll be interested to see your border choice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a difference those leaves make! They turn a 'clunky' block into a happy field of flowers!
    And good for you on your Tiny Tuesdays! I think running a border of the sashing print around the outside will frame those blocks nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you add the "leaves" to the blocks they will look like flowers. Nice way to put your newly-won fabric to use!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! That's a terrific block to play with! Here's to cable being out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of your no-cable time! Your new blocks are cute, great use of that batch of prints. I really like how your Tiny Tuesday top turned out. Yes, a narrow border of the sashing fabric will contain it both visually and due to the seams.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Libby you are over halfway done with these beautiful blocks already. I'm not familiar with this Colorado block but it is sweet esp. with the little leaf addition. I also love those Tiny blocks all together and your idea that it would be a learning tool with colours and shapes is a great one too.Imagine a great-grandchild. How old are we getting!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.