Thursday, October 1, 2020

New Technique, New Tools

It's a beautiful Fall morning here on the Plateau, the sun finally rising at a humanly decent time.

I've noticed that some of my friends who do precision sewing starch their fabrics before cutting.  I first heard about this in a workshop with Elsie Campbell quite a few years ago, but I was hesitant to adopt this practice as it seemed to be an unnecessary step in the quilt process.  Plus I had heard that silverfish 

(a small insect) are attracted to starch (they love the glue in books and cartons) so I didn't want starched fabric aging on my shelves.

Silly Me, it hadn't occurred to me to starch just before I cut.  My friends say that it should almost feel like paper, so that's what I've been doing with my current obsession project.

I'm here to tell you that it works!  The biggest advantage that I am finding is less raveling.  How I hate having to clean loose threads off the back of a flimsy!  

I am using Sta-Flo liquid starch in a 1:1 ratio.  

My new tool, a continuous spray bottle, does a great job of even distribution.

I had to laugh at the labels on the box, though.


I'm using another new tool, too, but that's a subject for another day.

6 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a small spray bottle -- not for starch, but for water. Not sure about one that sprays "with a plomb, though! I do like those blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have a friend in my quilt group who sprayed fabric until it was as stiff as paper, and the rest of us thought that was hilarious! But in recent years, I've used a lot more starch, for exactly the reasons you mentioned. Maybe my friend was on to something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm glad to know that you've got longe spary when it counts!
    I've got a bottle of spray starch but seldom think to use it. I should maybe put it closer to the ironing board to remind myself. (And it smells like lavender, which is all the more reason to use it!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so funny because someone else just talked about using starch as well but I think it was a homemade version. I've never tried that but do you think it would be a help for accuracy in cutting?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope! I will occasionally use Magic Sizing, but have never used starch. Hmm... What new gadget are you using, Libby? Do tell!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How long should I leave the fabric soaking in liquid starch

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.