Wednesday, February 17, 2021

SAH Retreat - Day 2

I acted on Monday's threat and began a new project yesterday.  But first, a little back story ...

In October 2007 Alex and I took a quilt cruise up the New England coast and down the St. Lawrence River.  I know this because it is documented in a quilt I made with challenge blocks I won.

My block below was selected as one of two winners by the teaching staff that included Alex Anderson and Paula Nadelstern !

We all had to use this challenge fabric to make a 12-inch block in the weeks prior to departure. 

I was quick to put the blocks into a BQ (Maple Island's Big Quilt):


Anyway, one of our shore excursions was a visit to The House of Green Gables on Prince Edward Island and I bought a yard of this Anne of Green Gables commemorative fabric which has been on my shelves in three different sewing rooms since then.  


Time to put it to use.  I came across a pattern in this book that uses 5" squares of a feature fabric.


I debated about making it bigger than the pattern but putting those wonky sides on finally got my goat so a baby quilt it will be.


With a grand due any day now, I'm thinking it will be gifted soon.  Today's  retreat project is to make the borders.  That is, after I get Jacob's Ladder assembled ...

4 comments:

  1. What a great block to showcase your fabrics. It will make a lovely baby quilt. Congrats! on your upcoming new grandbaby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crazy weather and snowy too all over it seems. You are making the best of the cancellations. I'm not at all surprised you won recognition for that gorgeous leafy block, Libby. It's really beautiful. I love the way you are using your Anne fabric too. How nice to have such a cruise too. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Anne fabric is adorable, Libby! I'm glad you found a fun way to use it. That looks like a good book, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since your new quilt is with Anne fabric, I forgive you, Libby. LOVE Anne of Green Gables!! Want to visit P.E.I. one of these days.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.