Sunday, February 7, 2021

Chasing Rainbows

Week 5 Review

Last weekend I was putting away some fabric that I had pulled for Christmas projects.  That's when I spied a box of long-forgotten black and white spiderweb blocks.  Twenty of them! They are probably 10 years old.  Why had I let them lanquish so long?  And do I really even care about them any  more?


As to the first question, apparently I was struggling with a background fabric.  Really?  How hard can it be to find something to go with black and white?  Since there is a touch of red in some of the prints, it looks like I had been leaning toward a mottled bright red but it's definitely a bit bold.  

As to the second question, I really had no desire to make another full-size quilt.  I even considered giving the blocks away.  But, just for grins, I went on a search for an alternative background.  It was not easy finding options that would hold up against the busyness of the prints in the blocks and in the end I decided on a yellow ditsy print reminiscent of the 30s.

Before I knew it, I had finished 12 blocks.  That's when I read the instructions (you know, you should always read the manual first!) and discovered the pattern called for sashing between the blocks.  If I did that, 12 blocks would make a nice throw.  And, voila!

And bonus points for using the RSC color for February!  Still searching the shelves for an appropriate border, but it is OK as is at 44" x 58".

I also found time to make a few RSC blocks:  Sister's Choice and Square Dance.


Strips have been cut for the Scrap Magnet block and fabrics chosen for Full Stop quotes.  





8 comments:

  1. I love your spider web with the yellow! What a great use for your found blocks. What we find in our piles....

    ReplyDelete
  2. you have got some good yellow going on there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if it would match your vision for the quilt, but the line of fabric from Moda called Bee Grateful may be interesting as the border. Congratulations on clearing out old blocks to make an interesting quilt top. Marlene marlene@coveredinstitches.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how that is looking, Libby! The yellow was a great idea, and the cornerstones fit right in, too. Do nice when you have the perfect thing in your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The spider web quilt looks great as is without borders. How fun to find those blocks in your parts drawer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow -- the yellow really makes those spiderweb blocks POP!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.