Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Rabbits and Squirrels

 I wrapped up this rabbit by making more stretched star blocks and settling on an arrangement.

I made a few last minute changes after this photo was taken and the blocks are now stacked and ready to trim at Devo next week.  I have picked a couple of border options to audition.

My cutting room needed straightening in the worst way, so I spent some time yesterday cutting more strips for Color Stix blocks before putting away the leftovers. 

As I was putting away some background fabrics I had purchased last week, I found myself chasing another squirrel.

I think this would be considered a "chunky" churn dash.  Debbie Caffrey calls the quilt made from them Square Knots in her book, Open a Can of Worms.  In her world a "worm" is a 2-1/2" strip so I raided my drawer and picked an assortment of pinks, yellows, blacks and greys to make the blocks.  Silly Me, I started cutting pieces according to her directions before I realized I might be able to do some strip piecing.  Oh, well, something to sew is something to do ...

Tomorrow I'll be looking for a handwork project to take on our next extended holiday.  It's a toss-up between EPP hexagons and counted X-stitch.  That's assuming I can find my glasses for close-up work!



8 comments:

  1. Open a can of worms - that's cute! We all have those, and that's a fun block, too. Your Stretched Star blocks look like the perfect project for your sew day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like "Open a Can of Worms", too. Your chunky churn dash block is so fun! I'm glad you're able to get into your sewing studio for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Basic blocks are never boring when the fabric does the work. Love the neutral palette for the stretched stars. I recall Chunky Churn Dash from one of the first Block Swappers exchanges. Worth revisiting. (And a snap with squares instead of HSTs in the corners.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love that Chunky Churn Dash! I think my mind has turned toward gathering ideas for RSC24.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like that block, and I like your name for it. Your Stretched Star arrangement looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Stretched Star project is looking good. Your new project sounds like it's a scrap buster, so that's a win/win. Hope you find you glasses, it's frustrating when you have the time, but no stitching to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have made such good progress with your Stretched Star project. And moving right along to those Knotty Churn Dashes in such pretty colours for your first one Libby. It's fun to work out what to take to stitch on a holiday. Do show what you picked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey! Hope you're doing okay. I like the chunky churn dash!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.