Friday, September 29, 2023

No More Snails!

Yesterday I put the final paper-pieced corner on this little beauty.  I bought the panel at Back Porch Fabrics in Pacific Grove, CA in early February.  

I don't remember if I got the pattern at the same time (and at this point I can't even find the pattern to provide proper credit).  Later in February I picked up the cream and green grunge at Whittle's.  And quickly put the borders and first corner on ... then it sat until yesterday.  I have picked a pretty floral for the back and plan to get it quilted before the end of the year.

This morning I woke with a foot cramp a little before 5 so I decided to go ahead and get up.  Once the coffee was ready, I headed downstairs to finish the last 8 snails' trail blocks.  

They didn't go down easy, though. I was cruising along, pinning in my free time in front of the TV, and the last four had the third round TOTALLY wrong.  Wish I had taken a picture.  So it was rip and re-sew before I could get to the final round of triangles.  Believe me, I was very cautious about what I was doing from there on.  The snails are going back into timeout until a November retreat when I will have the pattern to show me what to do next.

With nothing major on my calendar today, I decided to move another project closer to the finish line.  I started Judy Neimeyer's Summer Solstice in 2018.  I made the 8 New York Beauty blocks in the class, but balked at doing the Lone Star with paper piecing.  I used strip piecing, instead and used class time at the recent LAB retreat to get that much done.  


Today I focused on the borders that will square this piece out to 58" square.  I had the great idea that strip piecing would also work, but figuring out the details made my head hurt.  Time for a glass of wine!


4 comments:

  1. Your floral mini quilt is a pretty one! I like those interesting corners. Hooray for finishing up the snails- sounds like they made you work! And the Judy Niemeyer design is amazing! I'll look forward to seeing how the borders look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that mini!! Does the cream Grunge have a bit of green in it too? The paper piecing on it is so pretty. Can't wait to see the backing. Lol on your snails in timeout! That Judy Neimeyer piece is gorgeous. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An eclectic grouping -- and each is a beauty. Many Niemeyer quilts are on display at shows these days and it's so cool to see the color combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such beautiful projects in your stash to now finish up. And you seem to be a roll with doing that, Libby. Happy Stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.