Monday, November 11, 2013

Design Wall Monday


I'm wondering if anyone else out there works in a fractured manner like I do?  Here's the scenario:

Last Monday I made the bold plan to complete 10 Cathedral Stars blocks each day.  Well, 2 visits to the dentist on the other side of the county, a girls' day out terminating in a memorial service, Kroger senior shopping, and handbell practice greatly inhibited my progress.  Plus, I was asked to make a 10" block in red/black/cream for a comfort quilt. 

Ah, I thought, I made a mockup in those colors some time ago.  Indeed, the block would finish at 10", but the snowball corners were too white -- wouldn't play well with the other blocks. 



I had kept all the fabrics together because I liked the block and intended to do something with them "someday."  I'll just make another block and substitute cream corners, I thought.  But, as long as I'm cutting, why don't I just go ahead and cut all the fabric to make myself a quilt.  A 4x5 setting would be a perfect lap size, sez me.  Trouble being, I only had enough fabric for 20 blocks -- not 21.  Are you following me here?

Nevertheless, I began making blocks -- maybe like the loaves and fishes I would miraculously have enough for the charity block.  NOT!  So this is what is on my design wall today.  Because I've used a variety of reds and blacks, as well as a variety of creams, I'm waiting to lay them all out before adding the snowball corners.



Meanwhile, Option 2:  I took a pineapple class with Anita Grossman Solomon this summer at North Carolina Quilt Symposium.  I finished one block in black and cream that would finish at 10".  I could applique a red heart on it.  Or, better, I could finish the second block already cut out and incorporate the red in the center.  That took most of Sunday morning but I'm please with the results.



Bottom line:  I only finished 5 Cathedral Stars blocks last week.  But the good news is that when I inventoried what I had standing by, I was only 2 blocks short of a quilt!

This week's goal is to make two backs that I can count in my stash report, finish 13 Asian pinwheel blocks, finish 4 blocks for a December block exchange, and knock out some more Cathedral Stars blocks so I can use the December retreat to lay that one out on a bigger design wall.

Be sure to check out Judy's blog at Patchwork Times to see what others are working on.

5 comments:

  1. Yes. I have a badge on my blog (thanks to Nancy Near Philadelphia) -- ADQD -- Attention Deficit Quilters' Disorder. Gotta make this time-specific project? Suddenly this stack of blocks from a swap in 2007 look so appealing....or that flimsy that's been half-quilted is not as daunting as it was six months ago....but first, there are those strips to cut up....if you just take a square from each of those fat quarters.....Oh, my, where did the evening go?

    BTW, your pinwheel blocks look like fun and I think they'd be good for an upcoming project....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a quilting friend with ADHD and she would get a kick out of your badge -- think I'll make her one for our Christmas exchange! I'm so relieved to know I'm not the only one with this affliction.

    BTW, I am SO impressed that you make ornaments for all the workerbees. I hope they appreciate it. My MIL, in her cognizant days, made ornaments every year for family and friends. I have a 25-year collection of them and if I don't do anything else for Christmas, I make sure I have them on a small tree somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got a little dizzy trying to follow your week, but I like the end results of both of those red, black and red blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Dar. I always check on your progress when you link to Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Libby! This is Sarah from Confessions Of A Fabric Addict - I wanted to respond to your comment, but you're a no-reply blogger so I came here to do it! I'd be glad to talk to you about antique quilt repairs but I don't know how much help I'll be - this is my first and I'm flying by the seat of my pants!! And I usually sleep on the sofa in the evenings while I'm supposed to be watching something on tv…...

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.