Monday, March 10, 2014

From the Hawk's Nest

In my last post I commented on the plethora of pattern at The Greenbrier Resort.  This was our room.  See what I mean?

Garden Room at The Greenbrier
 
On Sunday we took the Bunker Tour.  Fascinating.  Begun during the Eisenhower administration, it was designed to house Congress in case of a nuclear disaster.  It remained a total secret from 1962 to 1992 when the Washington Post published a story based on a disgruntled government employee's account that could not be denied.  It's public façade is that of an exhibit hall, albeit protected by walls of concrete and thick steel doors.

Sunday was the last day for ice skating on the outdoor rink.  Seemed odd to see this father and daughter gliding around in 50-degree weather.

Father and Daughter at Greenbrier Skating Rink
We've moved on to our second destination -- Hawks Nest State Park.  It was a winding drive down to the Gauley New River and a steep climb back up to the bluff.  A small park, but I am glad we chose this one.  The views from the bluff are spectacular.  Had we been here in season, we could have taken the tram to the canyon floor and taken a jet boat up river to the famous New River Bridge.



My husband is such a dear; he drove me miles off track this morning to a quilt shop, only to find it no longer at that location.  Don't you hate when that happens?  I should have called first.  We plan to visit another one tomorrow on our trek south but since I have three addresses for this one, I will definitely call first!

Tomorrow's adventure will take us back to the small coal town of Bramwell, WV, once the wealthiest town in the US and the birthplace of my father-in-law.  We'll have  coffee and dessert with the distant cousin to whom I returned a family crazy quilt in October.

We had planned to stay here three nights, but the weather is due to change drastically on Wednesday and we thought it better to relocate closer to my Thursday destination so we'll be off to Ripley early Wednesday morning.

So far this has been a very restful vacation, especially for my husband.  He needed this trip more than I do.  Just sorry the weather is causing a little stress.  If we can get to Peg Bingham's Spring Training Camp safely, we'll be in great shape for the rest of the week.  In the meantime I'll just
 
Keep Calm
And
Carry On




2 comments:

  1. Well, that explains the secret part. It sounds like you are having a wonderful vacation, minus the quilt shop relocating. Hope you find tomorrow's! Your DH sounds like mine was - he always tried to find shops for me wherever we traveled in our 5th wheel - even out in the middle of a Montana farm once - great shop, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Libby, "Change it Up" pattern is totally different with the quilt shop sample...changed up! I'm going to get back there and take a photo of it as I should have done then. You and desertskyquilts are lucky your men would go the length for your quilting pleasure. I'll be real lucky if he will sit in the parking lot waiting for me to scramble through to pick up something I need. Oh well different strokes for different folks. DH has pluses in other areas =^.^=. Sandi aka kwiltnkats

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.