I actually like brown. I have some beautiful browns in my stash.
But the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, in my mind anyway, is to encourage using up scraps. Turns out my brown scraps are just that -- (s)crap.
My intention was (still is) to finish Smith Mountain Morning this month. However, I discovered that my use of brown scraps in the cornerstone/log cabin blocks yielded some really unattractive blocks (think baby poop). No, I'm not going to ditch what I've done; I'm just having a hard time getting excited about finishing it.
Even these lack character, but I think they will be neutralized when they are grouped with some earlier brown string blocks.
My sewing room/studio had become such a shambles that I am embarrassed to show a "before" photo, so this week I decided I had to clear out a pile every day before I could sit at the sewing machine. In the process I came across some Wink & a Smile blocks.
Coincidentally they were mostly brown (or shades thereof) so I thought I could substitute them for my OMG (One Monthly Goal). Turns out I didn't have enough of the (really weird) background fabric to complete the full quilt as planned -- probably why it wasn't finished -- so I decided to make two smaller quilts.
This involved a lot of reconstruction in order to balance the background fabrics (more on that later) and this is where I currently stand.
|W&S with plain background|
|W&S with dotted background|
Earlier in the week I had finished one Geese Migration (a/k/a Geese on the Move) block at the MCMQG retreat -- also brown, sort of ...
|Geese on the Move|