The S'mores retreat this week was one of our best -- lots of hugs, reconnecting with distant friends, super projects in progress, and no drama. The only thing that would have made it better is if all 20 of us had been present. But life does tend to get in the way sometimes.
I went with high hopes of completing some UFOs -- and I DID!
First, I completed a couple of guild project blocks. (Apparently I failed to get a photo of them.) I have been doing a back-to-basics series this year and for each lesson I prepare two blocks -- one I finish to put on the board and the other I leave in pieces to demonstrate parts of the construction process. Once I've done the demo I finish up the second block.
Next I stitched together some quarter-square posey blocks from a wild-and-crazy panel series. They are far from perfect because little panels are never perfect. Still, they yielded interesting results. I plan to use a simple sashing and call it a quilt. The blocks will finish about 6" so it will make a nice child's quilt, don't you think?
|True Blue in Black and Cream|
Next up: True Blue. This is a pattern by Carrie Nelson that appears on the cover of her Miss Rosie's Spice of Life Quilts. I made mine with mostly black and cream batiks with a few black/multi batiks thrown in. I love the graphic nature of it!
All I needed to do was add the last border and make the back and binding. I generally save those details for a retreat where I have large tables at my disposal.
One UFO off the list!!!
Followed by another UFO, Elegant Garden. The pattern is in 40 Fabulous Quick-Cut Quilts by Evelyn Sloppy. All it needed was a border -- or so I thought. I managed to make it far more complicated with four borders and, to top it off, I mitered them!!! This took far longer than I had anticipated, but I think it needed that. I also cut the back. I will need to make a little adjustment in one of the corners before it gets quilted. This one is staying with me!
My next project was intended to simply lay out and pin the rows to sew at home -- supposed to take just a little bit of time so I could move on to something new. You know how it is -- first you want to see how it will look and then you can't find a good stopping point. I had originally planned to do something interesting in the corners but in the end I decided to just continue with the concentric diamond design. By the end of the day I had Mary's Triangles completed except for an outer border.
And with just a few hours remaining I set about a new project, something very modern. Tune in next week to see how that is going.
Tomorrow I'll give you a glimpse of what everyone else was working on.
I'm linking up with Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict.