|Shoofly on Steroids|
I had just joined a guild and one of the ladies suggested I try hand piecing so I practiced on these blocks -- which partly explains why I was always late in finishing. But when it came time to setting them I went back to the sewing machine.
For some reason I did not want to do a traditional setting with sashings or plain setting blocks. So why not complicate things with an original design? I think I saw an episode about shadow quilts on Simply Quilts and decided to try it.
The blocks were supposed to finish at 10" but because I hadn't quite conquered an accurate 1/4" seam, I added the frames to make them finish at 12". The frames also help set them off against the background. The quilt is about 70" square.
Before I had EQ, I designed the entire thing on graph paper. (I wish I had saved that!) When I realized that the light sections of the big shoofly would be very big and uninteresting if they were plain, I decided to put subliminal shooflies in the background.
Looking back on these early quilts I realize that I was a lot freer in my design choices then, not unlike the modern quilters today. I am working to regain some of that spontaneity.
Linking up with Krista Quilts for Throwback Thursday.