Thursday, August 2, 2018

Twosies

Then Foursies ...

Inspired by Gayle/mangofeet and Cathy/Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting, I have started my own version of Garden Mosaic (a/k/a Totally Demented, a/k/a Fractured Rainbows).  If you want to see what it should look like finished, go to Sally T's blog The Objects of Design.

The big difference is my pieces are cut at 2-1/2", instead of 2".  AND, I am only making one quadrant or one fourth of the quilt.

After making a mountain of HSTs over the last few weeks,


I began pairing a HST with a solid square to make a twosie.  Next, pairing twosies to make 4-patch units, some with light background squares and some with random dark squares.


The way I remember how to orient the pairs is I see butterflies or kissing triangles.

When I realized I had enough 4-patch units to make a 64-unit "block," I paired a light with a dark and churned and chained those little beauties into twosies, then foursies ... and finally 8 together in a row.


I think I need more variety in my scraps so I won't stitch these rows together.


Three more to go! 

There's a wedding and a cruise on the agenda this month so I don't expect to get a lot more done.  My bits and bobs will remain on the table extension so that I can work a few in, now and then, as leaders/enders.

9 comments:

  1. Oh isn't this coming together beautifully. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go you! Such a huge amount of progress!
    I've been finding the sewing very peaceful and soothing. Nothing like near-mindless chains of triangles and squares buzzing along through the machine to make you feel calm and meditative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're moving right along, Libby! I love seeing the pattern that's emerging. And you have a cruise to look forward to - that sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's going to be fabulous! Speaking of lovely things... have you looked out that window? Spectacular view from the sewing room of lucky YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s looking great, Libby. Wow, when you attack a project, there’s no stopping you! Well, except for maybe a cruise, hehe. Have fun and be safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've made a great start. Sounds like you have a very full, but fun August planned. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.