Tuesday, October 23, 2018

More Shadows

Or is it Paws?

I've made a total of 6; I need 8.  But I am struggling with balance in the values of the Shadows and differences in the backgrounds.  Four blocks form a square in the center; the other four will be in the corners.  The remaining blocks I have kitted have slightly darker, more obvious backgrounds.


Frankly, this photo doesn't really show what I'm seeing.  Maybe that's a good thing, maybe I'm over-analyzing ... I will probably make the remaining blocks -- I think I have four ready -- then make a decision.  The unused blocks will either go on the back or in another quilt. 

I've had several questions about the shadow bear paw block so I thought I should provide some details.  The block was designed by Trudie Hughes back in the late 90s and appears in her book, Log Cabin Quartet.
The book is out of print but is available on Amazon.  Some of the used prices are ridiculous, but Trudie, herself, has new books at a reasonable price and when you buy directly from her the profits go to her favorite charity (or so I've been told).  Be sure to click on "all buying options" where she is listed as a third-party seller.  No affliliation.




3 comments:

  1. Do the other blocks have the same background as the top two here? Really, the difference is subtle enough I think you could mix them up and it would still look good. I think you'll probably want to decide placement based on the featured colors more so than the backgrounds. What are you using for the log cabins adjacent to the shadow blocks? A mix of all the backgrounds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The blocks look great! I agree with Jan, the differences aren't so great that they won't mix together well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with making a few extra blocks...
    Though I think you could just not worry about it until you've got the log cabin blocks all made and laid out. It's possible that the backgrounds of these blocks will blend in perfectly fine.
    (You know me - I like to save all my dithering for the end)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.