Saturday, November 9, 2019

A Moldie Oldie

9 Years is Enough!

When I heard my niece was getting married on 10-10-10, I quickly put together a modern-ish throw quilt for their NYC apartment. (I had to dig through my old computer to find this terrible photo.)


Wanda/Exuberant Color told me the pattern is "It's Good to be Square" 
by Roxanna and Stephanie Prescott for A Quilter's Dream. 

I recently found four of the 16-inch blocks in my orphan block box that have stay stitching on the edges so it looks like I removed them to improve the proportions of the gifted quilt.

Stay stitching
I considered passing these blocks on to the Devo group but I realized they would need more of the brown/black/tan batiks to really do them justice.  I didn't mind divesting myself of some batiks that I rarely use anyway but since I didn't have the pattern, I wanted to be sure I had the right measurements.  I made a test block.

Test Block
It looked and measured like the leftover blocks, so the cutting commenced.


Before I knew it -- well, really, two days later -- I had kitted up 15 more blocks.  My dear friend was back from the spa and I needed to make sure she was working properly before taking her on retreat next week.

Baby-Lock Quilt Pro
Three more blocks ..


... joined the original four ...


The other 12 will have to wait for retreat.  And I may keep this one....

9 comments:

  1. Wow! I like the twist!! I'd keep this one, too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are neat blocks! Great orphan block rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a cool pattern! It's fun to find a partially finished project and the inspiration to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic pattern and love your colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome pattern, Libby!! That is going to be one gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this one, especially the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! Great palette, great pattern. Definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Old quilt blocks become new squirrel! Watch out!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.