Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Looking for Ideas

UPDATE:  I've decided on Cathy's stop borders and Diann's Chandelier blocks.  This one is going with me to Rock Island next week!


Several years ago Peg Bingham came to our guild and led a workshop on her Overhand Knot patterns.  I think she gave us a choice of a couple of table runners.  I made two.  The smaller one was gifted that following Christmas, but I still have the larger one.

As-is, it is 24" x 44" -- WAY too big for any of our tables!  If I trim it down to just include the knots, it would be 17" x 34".  That I could manage.  But it seems a shame to cut off all the excess.  

I have thought about making it into a throw but I have a limited amount of the fabrics to work with.  Most of Peg's patterns incorporate more knots into the borders and, frankly, after working on the church paraments that used Peg's design, I am all knotted out!  

So this is where you come in -- can you think of a pretty, but simple, block to surround this piece?  I'd want a throw to be at least 50" x 60".  I have a comparable background fabric and some pieces in similar colors to ones in the knots but I don't want to get carried away with scrappiness.

HELP!


11 comments:

  1. OK, I’m game to throw out an idea for consideration. BTW, that’s a lovely piece. The first thing I’d do after squaring it up is to add a red or black thin stop border, followed by a light fabric (slightly wider) border. That light border would set off the thin darker border to make it look like an intentional echo of the knot. Then a round or two of blocks. Umm… probably something not too visually heavy. Two rounds of Nine-patches in two colors, (dark/light) alternated with solid squares would give you an Irish Chain look. Patience Corners? Shoofly?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another idea…. Trim it down and use it as a starting block for the Stay at Home Round Robin (SAHRR) at Quilting Gail’s ….

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Cathy on thin dark border. I was thinking 9 patches , happy blocks, or a chevron. I even thought Greek key. But maybe not. Violet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of check out quilterscache.com/b/borders.html. Thinking crossover or links. Violet

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your knots remind me of Angela's Bull's Eye blocks that she's got on her blog today, except you would want them turned on point. I also see the chandelier blocks I've been making when I look at your knots. I don't know if either of those would work, but maybe...?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I played with my EQ8 software and came up with two ideas. The simple one is to add a red/black piano keys border. The more complex one starts with a bonus HST border, then two narrow plain borders, then Signature/Nonesuch/Indian Hatchet units with red and black corner triangles that generate the bonus HSTs. It really emphasizes the 45-degree angles in your center and would give you a 52" x 36" throw but would require some center trimming. Let me know if you want the deets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on this quilt. The knots are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you have a plan for moving this to a finished project. Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Intriguing! I'm glad you have a plan and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress. I think Chandelier blocks will complement the knot nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of great ideas here, Libby. I'm confident it will look fabulous whatever you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You could make some split rectangles as the outside most row (with a small border between that and the edge, coupled with the inner border ideas provided here. I think that the shape would be complementary to your pattern. You could havethem pointing either inward or outward (so that two joined will create a peak and the slope would be on the sides). You could have the pairs of the same fabric, or mix it up with colorful paired units. (I'm working on this, so it comes to mind)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.