Thursday, October 6, 2022

Building a Quilt

I get frequent comments on my fabric combos, and since I'm pulling fabrics for a sampler quilt the Devo group will be working on, I thought I'd do a brief post on my approach.

I often start with a multicolored print.  I figure the fabric designer is a professional and knows color so I look for fabrics in those colors that are in the print.  Many times the inspiration fabric doesn't even appear in the quilt!

In the current project, though, I started with this background because I need about 3 yards.

From there I chose a coordinating yellow print and another piece that shared the yellow.

I felt the orange flower centers needed some companions ...

Then I looked across the color wheel to find a complimentary color -- turquoise!

And finally I threw in some browns to complete the combo.
















5 comments:

  1. Isn't that a pretty bundle! I love the color, but also your mixing of larger and smaller prints. This will make a beautiful quilt, Libby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty fabric pull! Looking forward to seeing what you make with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an area I feel I could use help with. You've very smoothly put this bundle together with such a great eye for colour and print. I get overwhelmed with the choosing. I probably should just work with fat quarter bundles curated by the designer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've created a great palette. It's the color, for sure, but also the contrast and the texture (size) of the prints. Have fun at quilt camp! P.S. Who's the maker/publisher of the big "daisy" print?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always interesting to hear how quilters select their fabrics. Looking forward to seeing the resulting quilt!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.