Saturday, October 29, 2022

Squirrel Revisited

Well, I didn't have enough greens to go with the red flannels for a Christmas quilt, but I did come up with this assortment that would look nice in our bedroom year-round.

I purchased a kit from Primitive Gatherings several years ago that included most of these flannels along with the three quilting cotton pieces on top of the pile.  I have never combined the two types of fabric in one quilt, have you?  Suggestions?

I have too many other irons in the fire to start a new quilt right now so the pile will go in a box with the pattern for a future time -- maybe at next month's retreat ...  In the meantime, I've been cleaning and reorganizing the room where I cut and store fabric.  I can't live with the mess any longer, plus some changes are acomin'.

I have managed to fit a little sewing in, trying to catch up with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I'm making Labor Day Madness blocks, the process of which produces a second block which I'm calling Pinwheel Madness.  My goal is to make one set of blocks each day.

So far I have 10 blocks made for Labor Day Madness.

If I set them straight, like they are above, I'd need 42 blocks for a decent size throw.  I kinda like the "whirlygig" effect where four blocks join.  But I might add sashing to cut down the number of blocks. 

Right now I need to cut more background.  And hopefully I'll get around to making a pair of blocks before we head to the mountains for the weekend.



6 comments:

  1. I've always liked the Hope of Hartford block.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your Labor Day Madness blocks! How neat that they give you parts for a second block. Do you think you'll use them in the same quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fabric combo will make a beautiful quilt. I really like your Labor Day Madness blocks, those are definitely another fun quilt in the the works. Hope you get in a couple of blocks before you head out for your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great choice of colors! I love these blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool Labor Day Madness blocks. It looks complicated to keep them spinning in the right direction, especially since making the blocks generates a whole 'nother set of them. I like the idea of sashing between them - gives them a little breathing room and as you mentioned, you'd need fewer blocks with sashing. Do you have enough background fabric?

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.