Sunday, November 20, 2022

One of THOSE Projects

You know, the kind of project once you start you can't stop ...

Someone (Nann doesn't claim it, maybe it was Wanda or Michelle) sent me a photo of these sweet little blooms ...


Although I'm not typically a 30s kinda gal, I had picked up a charm pack at a recent quilt show and I thought those would be perfect for the flowers.  Working strictly from the photograph, and limited by the 5-inch size of my charm squares, I worked up a sample.


Too cute!  I decided to use a pile of miscellaneous white-on-white scraps for the backgrounds and chose the green to be a constant.  And so the cutting began.  I headed off to retreat with a pile of blooms made and the leaf and stem pieces ready to stitch.  You might see I originally planned over 40 blocks with sashing, but after two days of sewing I decided 25 was enough with an alternate setting block.


I had to stop at that point because I had not selected an alternate block fabric.  When I got home I decided the fabric I hoped would work was just too distracting, so I cut three options, enlisting my husband to make a decision.  We agreed this fabric was the best option (though not perfect) ...


After a day's labor at Devo and Sew I have this to show ...



I'm thinking a narrow inner border of green and an outer border of setting fabric will finish it off.

However the finishing had to stop while I worked on a deadline project for church.  Hoping to report success on that project tomorrow.









10 comments:

  1. I'm not a 30's kind of gal and for some reason I went and bought a quilt kit that makes a large quilt with that type of fabric and have several jelly rolls and honey buns for it! I still haven't made it as of course I don't really care for the fabric now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute perky posies and the perfect use for our 30s charm pack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so pretty, Libby! Looks like you found the perfect fabric for the alternate blocks. I really like those flowers - they'd look good in any color or print!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so cute! No, I didn't send the idea to you but I will have to make some of them, maybe for the Farm Girl quilt I started many years ago and haven't worked on for a long time. I think your alternate block fabric is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are lovely blocks! I do like the alternate block, gives it movement! well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL -- who gave you the pattern is like looking at the garden and trying to remember which friend gave you that particular perennial. What I like about your setting is how crisp the flowers look. I am so over 30's repros but I still have a box.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blooms and garden are beautiful! I wish it was spring time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally in love with this project, I so love flowers. Yours in these fabrics is just perfect, Libby.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also tried to replicate from the picture. I love it but the leaves wouldn’t line up. Can’t fathom the misstep. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.