Thursday, February 16, 2023

The ONE

Leanna/Not Afraid of Color posted this prompt of Valentine's week:  how did you know your mate/friend/pet was "the one"?

Actually, mine is the Second ONE ...

My divorce from the first One was finalized on a Friday 45 years ago.  That night I slept on his sofa.  On Saturday I set out in the rental truck with most of my worldly possessions and by Sunday all was unloaded in the next abode in my old home town.  

On Monday morning I reported to the new job I had secured a few weeks earlier as a spec typist at an architectural firm.  The Office Boy stopped by my cubicle that day to invite me on the firm's canoe outing that weekend.  

I declined because I needed to finish unpacking.  The next week I invited him to go camping with me and the two boys (then 8 and 11).  He declined because he was helping his sister move to Savannah, GA that weekend.

I never went out with another man, but it took three years for us to be sure it was the right move to get married.  I have never regretted that decision!

Oh, and that Office Boy?  He ended up buying that firm many years later!

5 comments:

  1. Great story, Libby! I think you get the "and they lived happily ever after" award!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tale! Glad it worked for both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love that story even if I wasn't a character in it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your story, so heart-warming!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.