Friday, September 1, 2023

The Epic Vacation

 It wasn't my intention to tick off two bucket list items this summer but the timing was in our favor, so we went for it.  We took a little more than two weeks to recover from the Canadian train trip to prep and pack for the cruise to Iceland. I am so OVER international flights so when I saw that this cruise departed from and returned to Boston, I said "Sign us up!"

Boston was a particularly exciting port as we have a married grandson living there.  So we took a few extra days to spend tine with them before our departure.  As often happens, we were having such a good time with them I failed to get photos.  We did spend a day at the Boston Aquarium.  What a fabulous place!  


I think I'll make that photo of sea anemones the wallpaper on my new computer!  I have had a long infatuation with sea horses so was thrilled to see some in real life.

A couple of days later we boarded the Holland America Zaandam and headed to Portland, Maine for our first stop.  We had a nice tour of the area that included the Bush compound at Kennebunkport ...

... and a historic lighthouse.

Following that, we had a day at sea before we reached Nova Scotia and Newfoundland so I joined a group of knitters in the Crows Nest lounge to start working on a years-old large-scale EPP project that I started in a class with Christine Porter on a quilt cruise (circa 2008).  It took many more sessions in the lounge (and many glasses of wine) but I finished hand-whipping the pieces together and yesterday I added borders by machine.

It measures 21 inches square.

I took another hand-piecing project that I will feature in future posts.

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear about your cruise! What a great idea to cruise out of Boston. I loved our visit to Boston in the spring of 2022, but we didn't make it to the aquarium. That will make a great wallpaper for your computer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Love the pictures from the aquarium.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow, Libby! Will you be sharing some vacation photos? I hope so! We saw seahorses at the Chattanooga Aquarium when the boys were young.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.