Wednesday, July 18, 2018

The Squirrel Took a Turn

And then a rabbit appeared!


Last week I wrote about how I had come across some old fabrics that had been set aside for a project that will never be finished as planned.  So I began chasing squirrels, looking for ways to use up the strips, squares, and half-square triangles (HSTs) that had already been cut.

First I finished up some tiny 1" (finished) HSTs.


I really like these little beauties so they will go into something, if only a pillow cover.  Even though I don't enjoy Thangles™, I have plenty of the papers left and they really help with accuracy at this small scale.

Next I made some double 4-patches with the 1-1/2" strips and the 2-1/2" squares.  Then I added more simple 4-patches to create some breathing room.


I can see myself continuing with these blocks as leaders/enders and over time I should have enough for something.

Then while blog-hopping I came across SO many options using squares and HSTs, but one really stood out and tugged at my heartstrings.  Thanks to Gayle/mango feet and Cathy/Sane, Crazy, Crumby Quilting, I have jumped onto the Garden Mosaic bandwagon.  Check out the free pattern from Free Spirit fabrics here.


Since the pattern is called Garden Mosaic, I went through my 2-1/2" strip bin and pulled out all that had flora of any kind -- flowers, leaves, vines ... My units will finish at 4", rather than 3" as in the pattern.  I am also currently planning to make only one quadrant of the quilt so I only need 512 HSTs as opposed to 2048!  I got a healthy start on them yesterday at Devo and Sew.

The Rabbit?  During the Sunday cleaning/organizing binge I came across this wall hanging made from a panel that still needs quilting.

Sound of the Woods
Apparently I had planned to make snowball blocks with the remaining coordinating fabrics.  So I worked out a plan on EQ7 and got to this point.


My dilemma is that it would only be 28" x 35" as is.  Should I border/border, sash and border, or break down into pillow covers?

Linking with Cynthia/Oh Scrap.

7 comments:

  1. you sure are productive for someone in the middle of a move! Awesome projects!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget Sally of The Objects of Design. She started about the same time Cathy and I did, but overachiever that she is, she has already finished her top!
    Happy HSTing! I love all your scrappy cuties!
    (And I'd border/border/border, but you know how I am about borders...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got some fun projects started and since they use up scraps, they don't count right? Love the panel. I'd probably add borders, it would make a very pretty wall hanging for winter. Though it's a very nice cool scene to contemplate as our high for today is supposed to be over 100 F.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are finding time to play with fabric while you continue to settle in. Thanks for linking up with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw this post the other day, and somehow managed not to leave a comment! But I like all the fun things you're doing with your found pieces. Sometimes it's just fun to play!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely earth tone fabrics you have in those projects including that modified bandwagon!

    I'm not a border or wall hanging person so no help from me. (I'm not much of a sashing or pillow person either. Guess I'm all around boring.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, I'd sash and maybe cornerstone before bordering. Or maybe do rows with the sashing only horizontally but not vertically. Is there any more coordinating fabric for an alternate block to fatten it up a bit? Very pretty, soft colors in this one! I love the winter trees fabric so much :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.