Monday, June 14, 2021

Welcome to My Corner

You know, the corner(s) I paint myself into quite frequently!  

No, not the paraments for the church corner; I found out the white set is not needed till later in the year so that project went on the back burner.

It's the Shoofly corner.  As I said in a recent (was it really two weeks ago?) post, I had a pile of cutoff HSTs from this quilt (which, according to my blog, was intended for one of my sons, but it's MINE).


The block is a variation of Sister's Choice.  I chose to make the star points with the sew-and-flip method.  Eight star points meant 8 cutoff HSTs in each fabric combo, more (or less, not sure why).  Since each shoofly block only takes 4 HSTs, my plan was to make a positive and negative of each combo.


My first "corner" was realizing I didn't have enough of some of the fabrics to fill out the blocks.  So I substituted alternate fabrics in a similar color.


My second "corner" was my choice of framing fabric for the shooflies.  It was something I had a lot of and would coordinate with all the block fabrics, but it turned out to be dull and just a little dreary.  

I thought about making an alternate block to fill out space as these little gems will finish at 6-1/4", but this just made the dreariness worse.


Sashing between the blocks was my ultimate solution, but what to use?  White was too stark, a print was too busy.  So I settled on a beige from my mother's stash (she died in 1979) so it probably is a cotton/poly blend, but it works.


It's close to the tone in the frame fabric and adds a bit of lightness.  And you probably know my trick to making a quilt bigger -- set the blocks on point!


My third "corner" was discovering, after I had laid the blocks out square, that in setting on point some duplicates were next to each other! So I came up with a new arrangement that you'll have to wait to see.

While I was cogitating on what to do with the shooflies, I picked up some more remnants from Kevin's mystery and threw together a child's comfort quilt.


Speaking of comfort quilts, tomorrow is Devo Day and I'll be taking this one to show and share.

4 comments:

  1. It's a process figuring out what will work and what won't. You always come up with great results! It's good to see your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck on figuring out how to escape from your self-imposed quilting corner, Libby. At least, you've got a really cute kid quilt to share at Devo and Sew!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that background fabric! Glad you found a coordinating fabric to make the alternate blocks. Setting them on point is such a good idea - I should do that with those Easy Breezy blocks I made!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, don't let those cute little shooflies push you around! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.