Wednesday, July 7, 2021

About That New Project ...

 I need fabric!!

Actually, I took care of that yesterday.  But I digress ... you probably want to know what the project is!

Last month two of my Devo friends were excitedly talking about a new project they were planning -- Confetti Star (a variation of Hunter Star).  I had made a Hunter Star quilt along with S'mores some time before 2014.

I had been inspired by a snail's trail setting in Jan Krentz's book Hunter Star Quilts & Beyond.  My fabrics are very subtle, but if you look closely you may be able to see the Snail's Trail setting.

 It's one of my favorite quilts and one that I wouldn't mind making again so, of course, I asked my friends if I could play along.  I thought this would be the perfect project to use my birthday acquisition from Twisted Sisters.

My friends had seen an easy technique in a Missouri Star video that started with 10" squares.  While I agree that the technique simplified the math of cutting the three shapes required for a block, I wasn't thrilled with the proportions so I set about finding the instructions I had used, to no avail.  I asked a S'mores friend to bring a copy of the instructions we had used to Jonesborough and I used the last couple of hours at the retreat to cut masses of 2-1/2" bright strips which I promptly cut into star points when I got home.

BUT, when I measured MY quilt, the star points were cut 2-1/4"! (easy fix) Plus my blocks finished at 9", not 8".  None of the math in the S'mores' instructions would work 😞  Obviously I had used a different pattern.  I got out Krentz's book and nowhere could I find specific instructions, but she did have a graphic that showed how to cut templates in a variety of proportions.

Worst case, I'd have to make templates.  As I was explaining my dilemma to my husband, I flipped open the book and there were my templates tucked behind the front cover!!!

Armed with the proper tools, I cut enough to make sample blocks.  DH had thought the purple fabric would work best for the "dark" side.

I think the purple is a little heavy, but that's beside the point because I don't have enough of either fabric to make a king-size quilt!  So back to Twisted Sisters I went yesterday.  Sadly they were out of the fern.  I may be able to find some online.  OR I could make a smaller quilt.  OR I could choose a setting that would let me use what I have.  This is what I came home with.

I'm not sure if the yellow or the white will be opposite the fern.  Any thoughts?  The blue is for the back.

Meanwhile I'm going to fire up the old PC and get creative with EQ.  Stay tuned.

7 comments:

  1. Best of luck with your new quilt project, Libby. It's going to be SEW lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Hunter's Star design, but have never tried it. Your fabric pull is so pretty! I like the yellow with the fern print. But it will be pretty either way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your fabrics! It's always fun to see what you create in your hidey hole!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the math is very confusing for a Hunter's Star. I'm glad you were able to find your templates!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hunter's Star is one of those blocks for which there are many methods. Deb Tucker has the Rapid Fire Hunter's Star, though of course that's yet another limited-purpose ruler.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed reading this post Libby. Interesting to me to read about how decisions are made for this beautiful pattern...seems to me I've seen it somewhere else. This is perfect for your skills (not mine) and you've chosen lovely fabrics. I will enjoy seeing this take form.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your fabric choices in your test block. Glad you found your templates. I'm looking forward to seeing your new version come together.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.