Saturday, July 3, 2021

Mid-Year Assessment and Catch-up

 Can you believe half a year has passed already?  And what do I have to show for it?

You may think that if I don't post, nothing is happening.  I think it's quite the reverse -- too  much is happening to keep up with!

Tornado damage - The trees and stumps have been removed from the secret garden, as has the damaged fencing.

The Fence Guy (that's the name of his business!) should come this week to start cleanup and we hope the fencing will be at Lowe's soon to be installed.  In the meantime, Alex started cleanup in one corner today.

While he was down there, he cut some day lilies that have been obscured by volunteer redbuds.

He has also been hard at work on weeding and mulching other parts of the landscape.  


The bigger news at Chez Smith is the deck enclosure!  We have a structure and a roof.


The Trex decking is out of stock and the construction crew has been busy elsewhere so it will be August at the earliest before we finish.  But we are enjoying the shade!  When finished we will have screens all around.  The construction crew felt bad that they could not finish the dock now, so they temporarily installed the kayak launch for us.  It was too cool to kayak this morning, but maybe tomorrow...

When I last posted I was going out to plant the creeping Jenny. Well, it started raining so I went to the sewing room.  I did not make any headway on Kaleidoscope because I needed to unpack the machine and rearrange the furniture that I moved to accommodate the Murphy bed.  So I cut bindings, instead.


Garden Trellis, Weaver Fever, Jack's in the Pond, and RSC Sampler (not shown).  And I have started another new project.  More on that tomorrow.







9 comments:

  1. it will be nice to have a screened in porch - I love my porch but I wish I had screens

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a lovely garden and deck, Libby. It will be amazing when the porch is screened in. now, get those bindings on and show us your new projects, LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever a shell game in your studio, Libby! It's going to be nice to have a screened in area and some shade off the living room onto the deck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things are looking good at your house! Hope you're getting used to the changes in the landscape after losing the tree. Our trees are big and older and needing trimming to stay healthy, but I miss the shade from those lower branches that are now gone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're going to enjoy the heck out of that deck!
    Now let's see that new project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful deck! And, yes, the days seem to melt away . ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. A screened porch is going to be really nice. It already looks so good. I have a roof over my porch but not a screen, so I have to deal with the mosquitos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun place to hang out. It seems that everything is back ordered these days. Hopefully it will all get finished when there is still pretty weather to enjoy being outside.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh a screened in porch/room (they are called Florida Rooms) here is on my bucket list...would so want one. Enjoy it Libby. And kayaking, what fun for you two youngsters!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.