Sunday, August 29, 2021

Slow Stitching Week

 That is, a slow week for stitching. The only slow-stitching I've done is the binding on a table runner (which I hope to finish before church this morning).

Before I get into my week, though, I have to say that after all the destruction and deaths in last week's flooding in Middle Tennessee, my comment about getting out of retreat just in time sounds a little flippant.  But at that point last Saturday, we thought only Garner Creek had crested.  Little did we know that the neighboring county got over 12 inches of rain.  

I appreciate all the comments of concerns from my blog friends about our situation here on our bluff in The Glade.  The flooding was 50 miles west of Nashville and we live 100 miles east of Nashville.  And we are situated high enough above our lake that the water would crest the dam before it rose to our level.  

Needless to say, I have been distracted -- not only by concern for my friends, but preparing for a visit from my sister-in-law.  I did manage to stitch up a little braid runner from a pack of charms.

I had volunteered to make a door prize for today's church golf scramble and I thought the colors in this charm pack were neutral enough to fit anyone's decor.  I did it quilt-as-you-go style and forgot to allow for a border when I cut the back and batting.  It's only about 7" wide!  It might fit on a mantle ...

SEW I went back to my original plan of using some golf-themed fabric, using the same technique but bigger pieces.  Well that one was going to be huge, might even cover a table.  I finally decided to fall back on a tried-and-true method for  coasters:

SIL arrived Tuesday, we played 9 holes of golf on Wednesday, went to a Playhouse performance on Thursday, shopped in Knoxville on Friday, kayaked on Saturday, and will be playing in the scramble this afternoon.  I think I did pretty well with the little stitching time I had, don't you?


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like lots of fun with your sister-in-law there! I like seeing the snippets you worked on, and I think the coasters are perfect for the golf scramble, too. Hope you played well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that “mantel runner” you made, even if it wasn’t your original intent. So glad you are getting some quality sister time and that you’re safe from those horrific floods. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did SEW well with the time you had available, Libby! Those coasters are always a crowd pleaser. Sounds like a great visit with your SIL!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.