Saturday, November 13, 2021

Finish with a Flourish

As I said several posts ago, my interest in Rainbow Scrap Challenge '21 waned around February.  I had a couple of projects that carried over from 2020 and I had plans to start something new, but I just couldn't generate any enthusiasm.

Then I saw Preeti's Masala Box last month.  And the rest is history.  Twenty blocks in 10 days.  I blocked, pressed, and trimmed all 20 blocks at the S'mores retreat this week then assembled them into an "artful" arrangement (1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10).

As is, it is 48" x 60".  I plan to add a 2-1/2" border of the background fabric and that may be the end.  

Inspired by Masala box, I pulled more 2-1/2" strips and cut Square Dance blocks.  My first order of business at retreat was to stitch them.  I was never sure how they would be arranged, but after several iterations I settled on this orientation, though color placement needs to be improved:

As is, it is 48" x 48" more or less.  I think it could benefit from being a little bit bigger; I'm even considering making some lighter blocks to create an ombre effect (I may have mentioned that before).  Anyway, two RSC tops will be complete before year's end!

Linking with Angela at soscrappy for Scrap Happy Saturday.

10 comments:

  1. very good for a late start!! like both of them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for two nearly finished quilts! I love the idea of an Ombre effect. Glad that you found some inspiration to get your projects moved along to the next phase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent use of your renewed enthusiasm for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, Libby!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Masala setting is great, Libby. And you'll use up lots of miscellaneous scraps with the Square Dance blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, Libby! I love your Masala Box quilt top! You've convinced me that I definitely want to make one. I'd better buy that pattern today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! nothing like a retreat for inspiration and focus! Good work on those tops! I think I will pull out some squares and marathon that Marsala box! Happy Quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. WoW!! You did great Libby! 2 beautiful tops in no time. Very well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very dramatic placement of the lines of black squares. Terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! I love your Marsala Box and that Square Dance top is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.