Sunday, November 7, 2021

SQUIRRELS!!!

S'mores retreat is next week and I've been trying to settle on which projects I SHOULD be taking.  I usually hold borders till retreat time as there is plenty of table space where we get together.  I have two border projects lined up, not that I'm enthusiastic about either one.  

A primary goal will be assembling Masala Box (which I am calling Mess-ala Boxes)

This is just a tentative layout.  I have made gray and dark green blocks since this photo and I will try to figure out how to balance the darker colors with the lighter ones.

I was looking for an empty project box (or one I could usurp) for Mess-ala when I opened Pandora's Box (a/k/a Blue and Brown).

This is a medallion-style "Frankenquilt" I started in the summer of 2020, made from leftover pieces and parts from my reproduction fabric days.  It screams "Finish me!", but not at this retreat; it needs more thought.

BUT in that same box was a baggie of finished blocks (and parts for 13 more) left over from a quilt I gave away made from my own design I call Irish Grandmother (combo of Irish Chain and Grandmother's Choice).

I don't think I have enough of the background fabric to make more shoofly blocks ...

... but what if I alternated with a solid block of this fabric?

We'll see how that develops.  Anyway, at a minimum I will finish those thirteen blocks at retreat.  In the meantime, I decided to move this other UFO off the shelf to free up another project box.

Several years ago I taught a class on 4-patch posey.  I used this gorgeous paisley (from JoAnn's, of all places) to demo both the square and quarter-square (shown here) options.  I have enough blocks for two small throws.  This pattern is English Tiles by Kaye England.  It is designed to be set strippy style, but the border print I had set aside for this one didn't work color-wise.  And just putting the blocks together would not be big enough to be useful.  So what if I used a large square between the blocks?

Boring and somewhat overpowering at the same time.  The space needed to be broken up.

I liked the idea of the 4-patch squares mimicking the corners of the blocks, but just a little heavy.  What about double 4Ps?

I THINK that's what I'm going to go with (though I just had another thought ...).  Anyway, the project has been added to my packing pile.  But I still need a REAL project ... more on that later, perhaps.


7 comments:

  1. such a nice variety of projects going on here - I like them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh ... you're going to have your hands full at retreat! I really like where your Mess-Ala Boxes is going! And the Irish Grandmother is fabulous—I think you're on to something with incorporating that blue!! Have a blast ... can't wait to see how high your stack of potential projects is AND what finishes you come back with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving your rainbow Masala Box, Libby! It is not a mess at all! I always stall out on borders, too - they're not nearly as fun as making blocks. Have fun deciding on your retreat projects!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!! I absolutely LOVE your scrappy Masala Box blocks, Libby!!! Best of luck with your retreat projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your new RSC project, very colorful and the background fabric is really fun. You've got some great directions for those other unfinished projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Retreat time again? Masala Box in rainbow colors looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. Grandmother's Choice is also Monkey Wrench so that could be called Irish Monkeys. LOL!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.