Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Retreat Day One

 You may recall that two days after the last S'mores retreat in August much of the retreat center was under water.  As I drove onto the property Monday afternoon I could see the effects of the aftermath.

This area used to be a line of cabins that looked like these:

The dining hall and some administrative buildings are totally unusable.  Fortunately, the lodge where we convene is on higher ground, but it did sustain some water damage on the lower level.  The carpet had to be removed from the sewing room and will be replaced with vinyl.  

We  have a generous amount of space for sewing with a dining table down the center. Tables on risers are grouped on either side of the room for cutting, basting, and ironing.  We attach design walls (flannel-back tablecloths) to the ceiling grid.  Needless to say, we are grateful we were allowed to come back so soon after the disaster.

I spent my first evening here working on a Rainbow Scrap Challenge project carried over from 2020.

The block is called Square Dance (I think).  I came with 4 or 5 finished blocks and made the rest Monday evening. Once I settled on the setting, I thought it might be fun to make some more blocks in lighter colors and try to arrange ombre-style with darks on the bottom and grading to light at the top.  We'll see how that goes once I get back to my stash ...

More tomorrow on all the beautiful projects here.





6 comments:

  1. The flood damage is so sad!!! I'm glad you all can meet in a good area and your Square Dance quilt is wonderful! Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're still able to go to retreat there, but sad for the damage they incurred. I like your Square Dance blocks; they'd make a good block to share here for donation quilts. Did you make them using strips, or like a double 4 patch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of damage at your retreat center - I'm sorry to see that! Glad you can still have a spot for your group, and I bet they're happy to have your business. The square dance blocks are fun in all the colors! I'll enjoy seeing what you do with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Square Dance blocks look good set on point, Libby! Enjoy the retreat. I'm sure that you will be SEW productive!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy seeing what you have tucked away in your UFO pile...last post. So many wonderful projects, Libby. Meanwhile, I'm happy these retreat hosts have been able to recover from such loss and it looks like you have a well appointed area there to work in. Enjoy it all now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Vinyl is so much better than carpet in a sewing area (whether one's own studio or a retreat center multi-purpose room). Looks as though they lost no time in clearing the rubble so they can rebuild.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me smile; I would love to hear from you! I respond almost exclusively by email, so be sure you are not a "no-reply" blogger. Or include your email address if you need an answer to a question.